Lloyd Sumpter

Default Kitty on Board?

Hi,

I'm thinking of taking out 1-yr-old cat "Kitty" on board Far Cove next
year (Maybe this winter, I donno...) She's been indoors all her life,
except a few times outside on a leash. And then she tends to hide under
whatever's handy...

So, any thoughts, suggestions, stories, advice, etc. about having a cat
on board? She's "toilet-trained" meaning she uses a toilet rather than a
litterbox, so I suspect I can easily train her to use the head (but I'd
have to flush it!). My Lady wants me to get her a PFD, but I suspect some
kind of "kitty-overboard" flag would be more useful?

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

Leanne

"Lloyd Sumpter" wrote in message
news
Hi,

I'm thinking of taking out 1-yr-old cat "Kitty" on board
Far Cove next
year (Maybe this winter, I donno...) She's been indoors all

her life,
except a few times outside on a leash. And then she tends to

hide under
whatever's handy...

We cruised with our cat which at the time was about 10 weeks
old. For the first week she had the fwd cabin gated off with her
litterbox and feed dishes. By the second week, she was all over
the boat. I have seen some cruisers, while at anchor, hang
something like carpet runners on each quarter to give kitty
something to swim to and get back aboard. A friend had several
2" lines knotted every few inches dropped in the water as a
climbing aid. We never had to worry as the cat didn't venture
out of the pilot house. Although we spent several hours at
Daytona looking for her and thought she might have gone
overboard. The boat was searched top to bottom in all of the
spaces, including engine compartment and lazerettes as the were
accessible from the engine compartment, but after a while, we
heard a meow and finally found her under the galley sink up
behind the ice box. After what she put us through, I could
thrown her over the side myself.

Leanne
s/v Fundy

bowgus

Should be an interesting thread :-)

"bowgus" wrote:
Should be an interesting thread :-)

So, any thoughts, suggestions, stories, advice, etc.
about having a cat on board?

Will my cats get seasick if I take them across the Pacific
in a 46' boat ?
d parker

Yes, they are easy to store too.
http://leacasey.tripod.com/eaturnips...inabottle.jpg\

http://www.bonsaikitten.com/

DP

"Lloyd Sumpter" wrote in message
news
Hi,

I'm thinking of taking out 1-yr-old cat "Kitty" on board Far Cove next
year (Maybe this winter, I donno...) She's been indoors all her life,
except a few times outside on a leash. And then she tends to hide under
whatever's handy...

So, any thoughts, suggestions, stories, advice, etc. about having a cat
on board? She's "toilet-trained" meaning she uses a toilet rather than a
litterbox, so I suspect I can easily train her to use the head (but I'd
have to flush it!). My Lady wants me to get her a PFD, but I suspect some
kind of "kitty-overboard" flag would be more useful?

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

Peggie Hall

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:
Hi,

I'm thinking of taking out 1-yr-old cat "Kitty" on board Far Cove next
year (Maybe this winter, I donno...) She's been indoors all her life,
except a few times outside on a leash. And then she tends to hide under
whatever's handy...

Leave her at home, Lloyd. It's one thing to move a cat aboard
permanently...cats can adapt pretty easily to a new home. But unless you
start taking 'em places with you from the minute you bring 'em home as
kittens, it's quite another to take 'em out of their "safe" home
environment--that's HER territory--to drag her along on weekend and
vacation cruises in surroundings that aren't her established territory.
She'll just be miserable, and you will be too...she'll hide and you'll
spend half your time with your hearts in your mouths, afraid she went
overboard.

I've had cats for more than 40 years...always in pairs till just a few
months ago...Buckley (in my lap as I type) is 19 now--a Siamese,
btw--and will be my last I think. I don't even board 'em when I
travel...I get a "sitter." Some of my dockmates brought their cats to
their boats for weekends...I considered bringing mine till I saw how
miserable they were among all the strange people, strange noises,
rocking boat. They could prob'ly have adjusted to it if the boat became
their permanent home, but not just for weekends.

So leave her at home...she'll be a LOT happier and so will you.
--
Peggie
----------
bob, friend to cap. neal and like minded fellows o

"kitty" is its name? how original.
heres my advice, give it the boot, watch it sail thru the air into the
drink and have a good belly laugh.

animals have no business aboard a proper vessel unless its for human
consumption.

Don White

bob, friend to cap. neal and like minded fellows of the sea. wrote:
"kitty" is its name? how original.
heres my advice, give it the boot, watch it sail thru the air into the
drink and have a good belly laugh.

animals have no business aboard a proper vessel unless its for human
consumption.

No self respecting 'Kitty' (feline or female) would be caught dead on a
mustard yellow Coronado.
Gary

bowgus wrote:
Should be an interesting thread :-)

So, any thoughts, suggestions, stories, advice, etc. about having a cat
on board?

I like a pussy on board. I helps make the day more relaxing.
Larry

Lloyd Sumpter wrote in
news
She's "toilet-trained" meaning she uses a toilet rather than a
litterbox, so I suspect I can easily train her to use the head (but I'd
have to flush it!).

I wanna watch her in 25 degree rolls and pitch and yaw....(c;
Poor cat can't hang onto the towel racks like I do...

How's her "aim"??