Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
posted to rec.boats.electronics
luc

Default Objective of NMEA

I am an NMEA neophyte. I am trying to connect my Raymarine speedo,
depth, and wind indicator. They use SeaTalk. Apparently, SeaTalk is
not NMEA language. I thought the point of NMEA was to make multiple
manufactures equipment communicate, much like MIDI (musical instrument
digital interface) works for electric guitars, keyboarsd, and
synthesizers.

I have a Garmin GPS, which does have some NMEA capabilities. I would
like to connect it to my ICom VHF, for the DSC feature. I would also
like to connect my sounder to the GPS to show depth on the Garmin. Is
this possible? Does anyone know where to get more information about
NMEA and connecting these various devices? I've already learned a bit,
but have a long way to go.

Also, from what I hear, the issue of "daisy chaining" is somewhat
resolved by the new NMEA 2000 protocol. Easy connectors, simple
wiring. Still, NMEA reminds me of DOS based computing. (it amazes me
that windows has DOS underlying it!)

I am sorry I bought my Ray Marine instruments that are not NMEA
compatible, if that's the word. Apparently, if I get a multiplexer, I
can make Sea Talk convert to NMEA. I'm sure all this junk is in it's
infancy, and one day will be resolved by some very cool technology.
It's already pretty cool, especially the Blue Tooth multiplexer made by
a company I don't know but recommended by someone on a google group.

anyone that cares to discuss this, I'm listening.

thanks

Luc