posted to rec.boats.electronics
Peter Bennett

Default Objective of NMEA

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 19:57:17 GMT, Bruce in Alaska
wrote:

Luc, Peter Bennett in VancoverBC, who posts here alot has a very good
Website, that has a lot of very good information, on specific connection
information, for various pieces of equipment. Might I suggest that
you check that out...

Bruce in alaska

My site is listed below....

--
Peter Bennett VE7CEI
email: peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca
posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bruce in Alaska

In article ,
"Lynn Coffelt" wrote:

"Bruce in Alaska" wrote in message
In article ,
"Lynn Coffelt" wrote:

Looking at the website, I notice they have whole new designed radomes

replace our crappy 2D domes that rain inside and rot the potmetal

guts.
Hope the new one is sealed up.

"Sealed up" being a theoretical state in the marine environment, of
course. Do the Raytheon open array antennas still have drain tubes to

sling
water "in case" there should be any "condensation"? Hmmmmm?
Got about 12 liters of water out of an 8 foot Krupp Atlas one time.

The
beautiful, almost new, 64 mile radar would only get echos from about

half a
mile.
A good "TR down" installation had one or more mica "dams" in the
waveguide to keep from having wet feet in the pilot house (or the

"void").
Old Chief Lynn

After that Krupp had run for a couple of weeks, all that water would
have been excited to steam and gone, if the Maggie lasted that long......

Bruce in alaska

Well, we did put in a 5kw 2J42 just to see what would happen (because
we were ill prepared, and that's what the tube kit had)...... but in a few
hours it just didn't ring very well at all. Bob ???, an old Radar Electric
guy taught me that the best tool in the kit was an earphone. You could tell
almost anything going on in a pulse maggie with such beauty and ease.
"Bob ???" had a reputation with Decca 050's and 101's almost as great
as "George" from Ketchikan. I owed Bob much of my livelihood for a few years
for his ability to teach me by telephone! He could play the guitar almost as
well as he could diagnose Decca Group 9's weird behaviors.
Old Chief Lynn (050's forever)

Yep, I remember Radar George in Ketchikan....he got married and left
town, and there hasn't been a good Radioman in Ketchikan since. He
also was a whizz on Wood Freeman AutoPilots, as well....

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @
posted to rec.boats.electronics
luc

Meindert,

thanks again for clarifying lots. I'm learning here, and getting a
good laugh at the same time. It sounds like what I want to do is not
only doable, but relatively easy. What is the software side of this?
So far, instruments are communicating, but then when you connect to a
laptop, then what does one need to read this stuff? Chart plotter
style software?

what a great way to learn,

thanks,

Luc

posted to rec.boats.electronics
luc

thanks for that Bruce, this format is pretty darn good for learning
stuff too.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
luc

is it possible to have more than one NMEA input to the GPS?

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Kees Verruijt

luc wrote:
is it possible to have more than one NMEA input to the GPS?

NMEA 0183 is single sender, multiple listeners. So any listener ("INPUT"
) MUST NOT be be connected to two or more senders.

So the answer is yes; you can connect more than one NMEA input to your
GPS NMEA output.

However, as Meindert's webpages show so clearly, there are issues when
one of the manufacturers has not kept exactly to the standard (which a
lot do).

One obvious way to violate the standard is to tie in the GPS output,
some real NMEA inputs _and_ a RS-232 input port on a laptop. The RS-232
port violates the electrical spec of NMEA, and your results might go
either way (works or not; or even worse: works some of the time).

This mess is why there are NMEA multiplexers: to get multiple talkers
sending data to the listener, and to translate NMEA into/from
RS-232/USB/Bluetooth.

--
Kees
posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bill Kearney

"Larry" wrote in message

If you don't like what I post, simply don't read it.

Stick with the thread topic and that'd be fine. Hijack a thread and you
ruin it.

If you work for Raymarine or one of their dealers, tough ****.

Oh please, this is sooo tired. Anytime a troll finds someone that doesn't
buy into their party line they go off on the "you must be an employee"
tangent. It's pathetic. I'm not nor, nor have ever been an agent, employee
or representative of anyone in the marine electronics business. Give it a
rest. I'm just a boat owner that finds it annoying when a troll hijacks a
thread just to beat a dead horse. But hey, if you listened to reason you
wouldn't BE posting.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Jack Erbes

luc wrote:

Meindert,

thanks again for clarifying lots. I'm learning here, and getting a
good laugh at the same time. It sounds like what I want to do is not
only doable, but relatively easy. What is the software side of this?
So far, instruments are communicating, but then when you connect to a
laptop, then what does one need to read this stuff? Chart plotter
style software?

what a great way to learn,

thanks,

Luc

Here is a place that will answer a lot of questions:

http://gpsinformation.net/

Check out the 3rd party software link there to find a number navigation
and GPS related softwares. For marine navigation, Seaclear II is a
great piece of freewa

http://www.sping.com/seaclear/

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)