posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry

Default Objective of NMEA

"Lynn Coffelt" wrote in
:

"Sealed up" being a theoretical state in the marine environment, of
course. Do the Raytheon open array antennas still have drain tubes to
sling water "in case" there should be any "condensation"? Hmmmmm?
Got about 12 liters of water out of an 8 foot Krupp Atlas one
time. The
beautiful, almost new, 64 mile radar would only get echos from about
half a mile.
A good "TR down" installation had one or more mica "dams" in the
waveguide to keep from having wet feet in the pilot house (or the
"void").
Old Chief Lynn

The drain tube is where the water intrusion enters the 2D case at
dusk...exactly like an empty fuel tank...as the case cools to condense it.
The water can't drain out because of the many plastic stringers in the
bottom of it, and it being flat, not sloped to channel water to the drain
tube.

How stupid it is. Open any SEALED Icom AT-130 antenna tuner that's been to
sea for years and you'll find it looks just like the day it was installed
inside unless the lightning blew it apart. Of course, the Icom's plastic
box ISN'T held together with 4 little screws around a 3' diameter o-ring,
either.

From the look of Raymarine's picture of the RD-424 new dome, it also has 4
screws instead of a proper seal.

If they'd left the whole bottom open with a big hole so the air could blow
out the humidity inside the dome...it would probably be fine that high up
on the mast.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bill Kearney

From the look of Raymarine's picture of the RD-424 new dome, it also has 4
screws instead of a proper seal.

If you want to rant about Raymarine, take it to another thread. Really, it
gets old.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bruce in Alaska

In article .com,
"purple_stars" wrote:

and it runs
over an rs-232 interface USUALLY, but it doesn't have to.

Actually NEMA0183 has a Hardware Spec as well as a Protocol, and the
Layer 1 Spec is not RS232, but a previous spec to RS422, which is a
Current Loop running at 4800 Baud. The Previous NEMA0181 spec is
where the Layer 1 Spec was originally introduced. NEMA0181 was
designed to drive AutoPilots.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @
posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bruce in Alaska

In article ,
"Meindert Sprang" wrote:

That is obvous...

With all respect Luc, but you're mixing things up very badly in your attempt
to explain things.
I'll comment between the lines:

Meindert, Luc isn't who posted all that confusing info, it was
Purple_Stars, and he really did a hash on most of what he stated,
as you pointed out.

Luc, Peter Bennett in VancoverBC, who posts here alot has a very good
Website, that has a lot of very good information, on specific connection
information, for various pieces of equipment. Might I suggest that
you check that out...

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @
posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bruce in Alaska

In article ,
"Lynn Coffelt" wrote:

Looking at the website, I notice they have whole new designed radomes to
replace our crappy 2D domes that rain inside and rot the potmetal guts.
Hope the new one is sealed up.

"Sealed up" being a theoretical state in the marine environment, of
course. Do the Raytheon open array antennas still have drain tubes to sling
water "in case" there should be any "condensation"? Hmmmmm?
Got about 12 liters of water out of an 8 foot Krupp Atlas one time. The
beautiful, almost new, 64 mile radar would only get echos from about half a
mile.
A good "TR down" installation had one or more mica "dams" in the
waveguide to keep from having wet feet in the pilot house (or the "void").
Old Chief Lynn

After that Krupp had run for a couple of weeks, all that water would
have been excited to steam and gone, if the Maggie lasted that long......

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Meindert Sprang

"Bruce in Alaska" wrote in message
In article ,
"Meindert Sprang" wrote:

That is obvous...

With all respect Luc, but you're mixing things up very badly in your

attempt
to explain things.
I'll comment between the lines:

Meindert, Luc isn't who posted all that confusing info, it was
Purple_Stars, and he really did a hash on most of what he stated,
as you pointed out.

Oops... sorry about that!

Meindert

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Meindert Sprang

"purple_stars" wrote in message
oups.com...
yes, it was me who posted those comments and not luc, and i did mix up
a few things. a lot of the confusion was in using "rs-232" when i
simply meant serial, but i was also wrong about a few things such as
NMEA 0183 not being a hardware specification. in any case, thank you
very much for the corrections, i really appreciate it.

You're welcome. It can indeed be quite confusing, all these standards and
acronyms. Basically, NMEA isn't all that hard but many manufacturers just
screwed up by implementing things their own way. And the user has to clean
up the mess....

Meindert

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Lynn Coffelt

"Lynn Coffelt" wrote:

[...]

Well, we did put in a 5kw 2J42 just to see what would happen (because
we were ill prepared, and that's what the tube kit had)...... but in a few
hours it just didn't ring very well at all. Bob ???, an old Radar Electric
guy taught me that the best tool in the kit was an earphone. You could tell
almost anything going on in a pulse maggie with such beauty and ease.
"Bob ???" had a reputation with Decca 050's and 101's almost as great
as "George" from Ketchikan. I owed Bob much of my livelihood for a few years
for his ability to teach me by telephone! He could play the guitar almost as
well as he could diagnose Decca Group 9's weird behaviors.
Old Chief Lynn (050's forever)

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry

"Bill Kearney" wrote in
t:

f you want to rant about Raymarine, take it to another thread.
Really, it gets old.

If you don't like what I post, simply don't read it.

If you work for Raymarine or one of their dealers, tough ****.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry

Bruce in Alaska wrote in news:bruceg-
:

After that Krupp had run for a couple of weeks, all that water would
have been excited to steam and gone, if the Maggie lasted that

long......

In the 60's, aboard USS Everglades (AD-24), we were about 1/2 way across
the Atlantic headed for the wonderful Naples Sailor Resort when our
AN/SPS-21 Raytheon Pathfinder got more and more insensitive. It just
couldn't see a ship on the horizon we could see from the bridge below the
antenna!

I got hooked into finding the problem and when I pulled the waveguide off
the transceiver it looked like someone had flushed a toilet on the deck
of the little radar room. The waveguide leaked, bad. We found a joint
had been pulled apart, breaking the flange off the guide, not good.

Under the gun to get a picture back on the bridge, I went down to my cal
lab and reeled off a length of RG-213/U, some N connectors and stole a
couple of waveguide to coax adapters out of the cal lab microwave bench.
I put one adapter on the antenna and one on the transceiver then
tywrapped the 213 coax to the waveguide up the stick, about 35 ft to the
antenna base.

Holding my breath and praying it wouldn't arc madly, I flipped the
switch. Calling down to the bridge on the sound-powered phones, the RD
reported his image was perfect and he had a big target at 24 miles just
fine.

I think that coax was still on it when I was transferred off the ship a
year later....(c;

I never figured out why the Pathfinder didn't arc the little pin antennas
in the waveguide adapters, but it didn't. The old waveguide was all
eaten up inside from all the water in it. It must have been in there a
long time.