Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
posted to rec.boats.electronics
John Proctor

Default Using a laptop with a Raymarine E-80?

On 2006-02-25 04:48:35 +1100, "Dennis Pogson"
said:

Bill Kearney wrote:
What options exist to use a laptop in a boat that's got a Raymarine
E-80 setup?

I'd like to be able to do two things. One being pull a live GPS
signal for laptop nav software (Coastal Explorer). The other being
upload/download waypoints and routes to the E-80. I'd prefer to do
this with a minimum of cabling into the laptop. As in, one serial
port not several. The laptop doesn't have serial anyway so I'd be
using a keyspan adapter.

What bridges/interfaces should I consider using?

-Bill Kearney

You will need to pick up data-out, data-in and ground from the Raymarine
E-80 and connect respectively to pin 2, pin 3 and pin 5 on the 9-pin serial
plug. Raymarine used to use there own protocol, called Seatalk, not NMEA,
and a converter was necessary, but I don't know if that still applies. I
suspect that Coastal Explorer requires NMEA sentences.

Dennis.

Good to see your still alive and kicking Dennis. The current crop of
raymarine C and E series displays support both NMEA and Seatalk. The E
series also supports Seatalk HS the CAN bus variant. That is the only
difference between the DSM250 and DSM300 fishfinder is the Seatalk HS
i/f.

--
Regards,
John D Proctor