posted to rec.boats.electronics
Len

Default Do you want the AIS-support in Ozi to include collision-course-alarm ?

The ais-support in Oziexplorers New Development Version 3.96.2a is a
terrific improvement.

My user-wish would be to add:
calculation of CPA (Closest Point of Approach)
calculation of TCPA (Time of Closest Point of Approach)
an alarmfunction when any CPA would be under a user defined value.

After my asking, Des Newman wrote that he would look into it but
couldn't say when it would be added.

My thoughts: when more sailors express their wishes on this point to
Des, perhaps he would give it some priority.

Cheers,
Len.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Pascal

Len,
I think that the CPA/TCPA alarm is a "must", off course, and Des
probabaly will include this in the final version. I do not see wy this
function would not be implemented, since the primary reason of AIS is
prevent colision on the sea.
Pascal

On 22 Feb 2006 06:20:19 -0800, "Pascal" wrote:

Len,
I think that the CPA/TCPA alarm is a "must", off course, and Des
probabaly will include this in the final version. I do not see wy this
function would not be implemented, since the primary reason of AIS is
prevent colision on the sea.
Pascal

Hi Pascal,

I think very much alike and I wrote him to make sure. He said he
would look into it (...).

I suspect, cause he's a 4x4 fan and not a sailor, CPA is a new
phenomenon for him. Chances are he considers it sufficent displaying
transmitting ships on the map..

Cause he's developing now I thought this would be the right moment for
multiple user-requests for cpa-alarm.

It surely wouldn't harm...

Cheers,
Len
posted to rec.boats.electronics
b393capt

An alarm set to a CPA distance might be fine in the open ocean ... but
some fine tuning would make it also useful in a bay or close quarters
(when there are many other many boats within 1 nm), to alarm when the
danger is very real, rather then someone just being in my proximity

For example #1, if the software could determine if there is a real
collision potential. If a freighter is on a direct collision course
with me, and we are head on, I would want the alarm to go off at a
greater distance then if we are at right angles. It could take me
several minutes for me satisfatorylly (to my wife) get out of the way
if a freighter is coming right at me, vs at a right angle 30 seconds is
all I would need (I could just stop and wait)

For example #2, if the software could determine how rapidly another
boat and I are closing to each other, or a "time duration until
collision (TDUC) - i made this up" then it could allow another sailboat
my speed running behind me and won't catch up for 20 minutes to get
much closer then a 40mph speedboat five times as far away but will
reach me in 2 minutes. By setting TDUC = 120 seconds, it would alarm on
the speedboat. If I can easily change TDUC based on being at the helm
already, or longer when I step away from the wheel, that would be
useful ... or have two different settings for TDUC (autopilot = on or
off) that would be useful too, but I would still want to easily adjust
based on what I think my reaction time is, and how much traffic is
around me.

This is not a complete thought, I see I have to go and cannot finish
this now, if there is an interest let me know and I will ...

If, in addition to setting a value for CPA (and the value would be set
small, say 0.1 nm), be able to set an alarm value for "seconds until
target enters CPA", which for example might be set a 2 minutes.

But in shipping areas it wouldn't be nearly as helpful as being able to
set an alarm value based on minutes or seconds (given each boats course
and speed) until collision.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Len

On 23 Feb 2006 05:23:27 -0800, "b393capt"
wrote:

An alarm set to a CPA distance might be fine in the open ocean ... but
some fine tuning would make it also useful in a bay or close quarters
(when there are many other many boats within 1 nm), to alarm when the
danger is very real, rather then someone just being in my proximity

---------------snip----------------

I was just thinking about the demishing disciplineon passages in quiet
area's to uphold 20-30 minute watches. But IMO you make a valuable
addition. I hope you will send an email to Des Newman with these
examples and explaining the functionality.

Regards, Len.
posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry

"b393capt" wrote in
ps.com:

It could take me
several minutes for me satisfatorylly (to my wife) get out of the way
if a freighter is coming right at me

I suppose you've heard all that screaming, too...??....(c;

posted to rec.boats.electronics
b393capt

Where to get his email address?

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Len

On 24 Feb 2006 08:18:29 -0800, "b393capt"
wrote:

Where to get his email address?

Cheers, Len.

Garmin 76/60CSX Anchor Drag Alarm Useless Viper Cruising 10 March 6th 06 10:56 PM
RayMarine C/E Ploters now support AIS receivers Pascal Electronics 0 February 19th 06 10:35 PM
Support the Danish! Dan J.S. General 86 February 13th 06 02:46 PM
Not all offshore tech support sux JR North General 0 February 6th 06 09:01 PM
retro fitting interior [temporary] support in a fiberglass cruisingsailboat Courtney Thomas Boat Building 1 January 13th 06 04:43 PM