posted to rec.boats.electronics
Chuck Tribolet

Default GPS Antenna Cable

I have a Garmin 162 that came with an external antenna on an (IIRC) 25' cable. I e-mailed
Garmin asking if I could shorten the cable. They said no problem, but since we can't
be responsible for the quality of the connection, it will void the warantee on the antenna
(not the GPS). Since it was already out of warrantee, I shortened, and installed one of the
Shake CenterPin BNC connectors. Works fine, and I have a little bigger signal strength bars.

"Butch Davis" wrote in message ink.net...
What are the ramifications of shortening the cable by cutting and spliceing? I've heard conflicting advice.

Thanks.

Butch

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Butch Davis

Chuck,

Thanks. Good info!

Butch
"Chuck Tribolet" wrote in message
I have a Garmin 162 that came with an external antenna on an (IIRC) 25'
cable. I e-mailed
Garmin asking if I could shorten the cable. They said no problem, but
since we can't
be responsible for the quality of the connection, it will void the
warantee on the antenna
(not the GPS). Since it was already out of warrantee, I shortened, and
installed one of the
Shake CenterPin BNC connectors. Works fine, and I have a little bigger
signal strength bars.

"Butch Davis" wrote in message
ink.net...
What are the ramifications of shortening the cable by cutting and
spliceing? I've heard conflicting advice.

Thanks.

Butch

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Jack Erbes

Chuck Tribolet wrote:

I have a Garmin 162 that came with an external antenna on an (IIRC) 25' cable. I e-mailed
Garmin asking if I could shorten the cable. They said no problem, but since we can't
be responsible for the quality of the connection, it will void the warantee on the antenna
(not the GPS). Since it was already out of warrantee, I shortened, and installed one of the
Shake CenterPin BNC connectors. Works fine, and I have a little bigger signal strength bars.

So there is such a thing as a free lunch!

The attenuation on RG-58 is something like 1 dB per meter at 1,800MHz,
GPS freqs are in that general area. So depending on the quality of the
connector, the coax, and the length of the cut, I can see where there
would be some gain.

I'd stay away from the Radio Shack/Home Depot grade twist on connectors
though. :)

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)