posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry

Default Raymarine self compatibility

Jack Erbes wrote in
:

This is about the 94th time we have heard Larry's rant about Raymarine
radar scanners on this newsgroup. I have this boilerplate post in my
draft folders simply to bring some sense of objectivity to this every
time it comes up again.

So, why do you read it? Are you a dealer, too?....

If I asked a question about my Freddy Widget and someone else on the
newsgroup had one that knew it was a POS, I'd certainly want them to tell
me their experience with it. Just because YOU heard it before, he may not
have been here.

Of course, if you're CONNECTED to the Raymarine line, you'd want to shut up
any dissenting observations that my trash sales, eh?

Why are you two defending a defective product?

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Jack Erbes

Larry wrote:

So, why do you read it? Are you a dealer, too?....

No Larry, I'm just an honest and objective person trying to add some
balance to your nitterings.

If I asked a question about my Freddy Widget and someone else on the
newsgroup had one that knew it was a POS, I'd certainly want them to tell
me their experience with it. Just because YOU heard it before, he may not
have been here.

And if you read that is was a POS, and were sure it was not a POS, you
would say something to give the conversation some balance wouldn't you?

Of course, if you're CONNECTED to the Raymarine line, you'd want to shut up
any dissenting observations that my trash sales, eh?

Nope, not me. If I thought the product was bad, I'd say that. If I
thought it was okay or good I'd say that too. In fact I just did.

Why are you two defending a defective product?

I'm not defending anything, the condition those are routinely found in
speaks for inaccuracy of your allegations.

Come on up here, I can show you 150-200 yachts in winter storage, at
least half of which will have Raymarine scanners on them. Bring a
pocket full of $100 bills with you and we'll start popping covers off of
scanners (the sail boats with the masts off will be the easy ones to
start with). I'll give you a $100 bill for everyone we find in the
condition you describe and you'll give me $100 for everyone that is not
in that condition. And you'll go home broke.

You really bring a lot of discredit to yourself with your irrational
nitterings about those scanners. It is simply not true.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)
posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry

Jack Erbes wrote in
:

You really bring a lot of discredit to yourself with your irrational
nitterings about those scanners. It is simply not true.

Jack

tell ya what I'll do, Jack. Next time I have to replace the damned
thing, I'm going to haul it all apart before sending it back to England
and post the pictures of this **** scanner for ya. Our boat sits in the
water ALL YEAR, not on some davit in the parking lot.

The design of this POS sucks. Rusty magnetron, poorly sealed dome that
has to breathe in and out sea air every day through that little drain tit
in the bottom. Everything in the dome open with slots so the cheap plug
pins soldered into the motherboard the molex plug mates with like a cheap
stereo can get all wet inside. Want me to send it to ya?

They don't survive in tropical marine climates....

Funny, though. At the base of the mizzen this POS is mounted on is a
little plastic Icom AT-130 antenna tuner that's SEALED from breathing sea
air in and out. It has lots of screws to tighten its cheap plastic case
on the big, flat rubber seal that doesn't breathe in and out every time
the sun rises on it. Matter of fact, it's bolted to the top of the aft
cabin at the base of the mizzen where it gets regularly sprayed with
seawater! Open it up and you'll find it just as clean and uncorroded as
the day I, an incompetent installer who's been putting in military gear
and civilian crap since 1966, installed it wrongly.

Isn't it funny now Icom can make a SEALED ANTENNA TUNER that doesn't
corrode up inside for a couple hundred bucks, but Raymarine can't for
$2000? Why is that?

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bill Kearney

tell ya what I'll do, Jack.

How about take the money? He's offering you what should more than cover any
travel expenses, and more, just to let you prove your cockamamie theory.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Wayne.B

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 09:43:44 -0500, Jack Erbes
wrote:

I'm just an honest and objective person trying to add some
balance to your nitterings.

Larry wants balance added to his nitterings about as much as you'd
like a box of thumbtacks strewn across your bathroom floor.

Larry is all about nitterings and is not easily confused by the facts.

That said, I love my new Furuno. On the the other hand, my 24 year
old Raytheon is still chugging along also, and the 22 year old
Raytheon on our old boat was doing just fine as well.