posted to rec.boats.electronics
johnhh

Default Nmea and seatalk to TCP / IP

Will this have any advantages over the 42BT or just a matter of network
preference?

"Meindert Sprang" wrote in message
"Larry" wrote in message
"nimbusgb" wrote in news:1137448005.526917.226780
@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Thats where I have started. Already have the Seatalk stuff working.
HTML by the weekend!

Aboard S/V "Lionheart", it's all wireless to the computer.

In a while I'll have a MiniPlex-42Wi, which does all these tricks out of
one
box: NMEA, Seatalk and Wifi...

Meindert

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Meindert Sprang

"johnhh" wrote in message
Will this have any advantages over the 42BT or just a matter of network
preference?

It is network preference mainly. Although it might be easier to distribute
the data to more clients (PC's) than with bluetooth. Currently the BT only
supports one connection while it is much easier to modify the Wifi module to
broadcast the data to anyone that is interested.

Meindert

posted to rec.boats.electronics
nimbusgb

Range on WiFi is also better than on BT.

You'll be able to see the instrumentation whilst ashore in the
clubhouse

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Meindert Sprang

"nimbusgb" wrote in message
ups.com...
Range on WiFi is also better than on BT.

Not necessarily. BT class 1 has a range of 100 meters. The only problem is
that most computers/handhelds are class 2 (10 meters) for obvious reasons.
Wifi really drains the batteries on PDA's, as would a class 1 BT unit.

You'll be able to see the instrumentation whilst ashore in the
clubhouse

Yep! Or control/sail the boat from there. Right, Larry? :^)

Meindert

posted to rec.boats.electronics
johnhh

I just ordered a tablet PC with sunlight readable display. I'll be spending
a very long summer cruising. Trying to get everything connected to it
wirelessly will give me something to do during those long northern evenings.
I think I prefer BT for power drain reasons. It should do everything I need
to do. I have Simrad IS15 instruments and a AP16 autopilot. My first goal
will simply be to get the GPS signal through BT to the tablet. Then add in
the rest of the IS15 instruments, then navigate from Visual Nav Suite. If
I'm really having fun I may add in the engine and electrical instruments as
well.

Do you see any reason I would need the 42 series or would the 41 suffice?

John

"Meindert Sprang" wrote in message
ups.com...

"johnhh" wrote in message
[...]

If you receive all the data via the mux to the tablet and let the tablet
drive the autopilot (mux in server mode), a -41BT will do. If for some
reason the instrument data needs to go to the autopilot too (mux in hub
mode), you might get too much data on the 4800 baud output and you might
need to use a -42BT with it's sentence filtering capability, to get rid of
unwanted data into the pilot.

Meindert

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Frank Wallenwein

Meindert Sprang wrote:

"Larry" wrote in message
"Meindert Sprang" wrote in
:

Around 630 euro's.

OUCH! That's about $US1000 minidollarettes, now.

Nah, only $760....

Meindert

Hi,

will the SeaTalk Port be able to read and write SeaTalk Data ( Collision
detection etc. ) or is it just for reading SeaTalk ?

Regards
Frank

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Meindert Sprang

"Frank Wallenwein" wrote in message
Meindert Sprang wrote:

"Larry" wrote in message
"Meindert Sprang" wrote in
:

Around 630 euro's.

OUCH! That's about $US1000 minidollarettes, now.

Nah, only $760....

Meindert

Hi,

will the SeaTalk Port be able to read and write SeaTalk Data ( Collision
detection etc. ) or is it just for reading SeaTalk ?

For now, it will only read Seatalk.

Meindert

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry

"Meindert Sprang" wrote in
:

For now, it will only read Seatalk.

For $US760 I'd want it to talk Seatalk, too....(c;

For $299 it could only read...
posted to rec.boats.electronics
Meindert Sprang

"Larry" wrote in message
"Meindert Sprang" wrote in
:

For now, it will only read Seatalk.

For $US760 I'd want it to talk Seatalk, too....(c;

For $299 it could only read...

I can see your point :-)
The "problem" is that when I decided to implement Seatalk, I realised I
could do reading without any hardware modification. And it is also a fact
that Raymarine has less problems with it when I only receive (being one of
their suppliers). The moment I talk to the Seatalk bus, they are not the
sole talker on the bus anymore which can have legal implecations in case of
problems that cause accidents.

Meindert