posted to rec.boats.electronics
b393capt

Default 20" LCD flat panel TV

Rather than a Marine rated LCD TV, a friend recommended I just use any
TV from Best Buy and consider it disposable after 3 years.

Anyone take this approach.

Is it possible, and if so, any drawbacks in connecting straight to the
battery rather then running thru an inverter ?

Any Best Buy model that is particularly well suited ?

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry

"b393capt" wrote in
ups.com:

Is it possible, and if so, any drawbacks in connecting straight to the
battery rather then running thru an inverter ?

S/V Lionheart has a no-name 24" flat panel TV on a lockable pedestal we
used to have the radar display mounted on from the old Endeavour sloop.
I'm powering it straight from the 12V panel the nav station equipment
runs from with no problems. The TV has a standard computer RGB plug on
it as well as HDMI, discreet video/audio, and S-Video connectors to plug
other things into.

At sea, because this TV is mounted on the salon-side of a small partition
at the nav station, I rotate the mount around so the helmsman can see the
big display from the hatch and plug the TV's computer port into the
navigation computer running The Cap'n, which normally sits on the nav
station, but is wireless so can be easily unplugged from the TV. The big
picture is very bright for the day watches to see the chart. The Cap'n's
nighttime red display also is very readable without blinding the helmsman
on watch. This is much better because it keeps all the electronics dry
in the cabin, not wet at the helm trying to use the computer outside in
the spray.

Being mounted like it is, permanently, there has been no degradation of
its original new condition in the air-conditioned-at-the-dock cabin. At
anchor, of course, we use it to watch the thousands of movies I've
downloaded from alt.binaries.movies.divx and alt.binaries.movies.xvid.
Recently, I got an LG LDA-511 DVD player that will play any compressed
video format, still pictures in a slide show, and all the audio MP3
formats without using the computer. It plugs into the HDMI digital video
port on this TV for "crew entertainment", now...

Who needs cable??

"Master and Commander" is a much better movie when viewed at sea heeled
over in a nice wind. Talk about reality TV!...(c;

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Franky

Hello

We are fitting a 17in lcd (no name also) and driving it from 12v
switched at the nav station.

The screen will be slung from a VESA bracket mounted onto the bulkhead
at the Nav station on the new ben343 ... thats the theory
we will be using a laptop which will be stored in the locker away. We
wll use the laptop for movies and TV at anchor and route planning but
not primary navigation, using Raymarine C70 etc for that.

Here in UK we have free digital TV (40+chans) which also has digital
radio so I will be fitting a Naval Nargus antenna on the mast which has
an amplifier.

cheers
franky

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Gordon Wedman

"b393capt" wrote in message
ups.com...
Rather than a Marine rated LCD TV, a friend recommended I just use any
TV from Best Buy and consider it disposable after 3 years.

Anyone take this approach.

Is it possible, and if so, any drawbacks in connecting straight to the
battery rather then running thru an inverter ?

Any Best Buy model that is particularly well suited ?

I've been looking at these units as well. I don't see why they would not
last longer than 3 years provided they don't get doused with sea water or
banged around.

Samsung makes 17" and 19" versions.
Toshiba makes a couple of units with built-in DVD players. They also have a
portable unit with built-in DVD player that looks like a laptop. The screen
folds back flat so that you can hang it on the wall. I think the Toshibas
are made to run from 12 volts, at least the portable one.
These are the units I've been most interested in but I'm sure there are
others.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Spammy Spamson

an alternative available up to 17in. :

http://www.seapc.se/index.html

Ricky Spamson

leave the spam IN to reply to e-addy.

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 17:21:22 GMT, "Gordon Wedman"
wrote:

"b393capt" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

56823

I bought a 14" Panasonic at K-Mart for $190,
and also purchased the extended 3 yr replacement policy
as it specifically DID cover humidity damage.

I'm happy with it. Haven't tried running it off straight 12v yet,
but it runs fine using a small cig plug inverter.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
markvictor

Hey Larry,
That IS the ultimate sailing video....even if you leave it on the menu
track, the audio with the creaks and groans will make you smell the
salt air and feel the wind at your back...!
Regards,
markv

The Solar Panel Simulator! Larry Cruising 15 March 20th 06 12:48 AM
The Solar Panel Simulator! Larry Electronics 15 March 20th 06 12:48 AM
Breaker Panel Mess Marc Electronics 33 December 19th 05 06:58 AM
Salt River Paddle Trip from Roosevelt Lake to Granite Flat [email protected] General 1 November 19th 05 08:45 PM
motor HP for 16-18' flat bottom aluminum boat for trolling? [email protected] General 2 October 20th 05 05:53 AM