posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry

Default 20" LCD flat panel TV

"b393capt" wrote in
ups.com:

Is it possible, and if so, any drawbacks in connecting straight to the
battery rather then running thru an inverter ?

S/V Lionheart has a no-name 24" flat panel TV on a lockable pedestal we
used to have the radar display mounted on from the old Endeavour sloop.
I'm powering it straight from the 12V panel the nav station equipment
runs from with no problems. The TV has a standard computer RGB plug on
it as well as HDMI, discreet video/audio, and S-Video connectors to plug
other things into.

At sea, because this TV is mounted on the salon-side of a small partition
at the nav station, I rotate the mount around so the helmsman can see the
big display from the hatch and plug the TV's computer port into the
navigation computer running The Cap'n, which normally sits on the nav
station, but is wireless so can be easily unplugged from the TV. The big
picture is very bright for the day watches to see the chart. The Cap'n's
nighttime red display also is very readable without blinding the helmsman
on watch. This is much better because it keeps all the electronics dry
in the cabin, not wet at the helm trying to use the computer outside in
the spray.

Being mounted like it is, permanently, there has been no degradation of
its original new condition in the air-conditioned-at-the-dock cabin. At
anchor, of course, we use it to watch the thousands of movies I've
downloaded from alt.binaries.movies.divx and alt.binaries.movies.xvid.
Recently, I got an LG LDA-511 DVD player that will play any compressed
video format, still pictures in a slide show, and all the audio MP3
formats without using the computer. It plugs into the HDMI digital video
port on this TV for "crew entertainment", now...

Who needs cable??

"Master and Commander" is a much better movie when viewed at sea heeled
over in a nice wind. Talk about reality TV!...(c;