posted to rec.boats.electronics
Phil Stanton

Default Waterproof Screens

London Boat show. What planet do you live on!!!

Keep an eye on http://www.vasari.net/

Alan Vasari is hoping to be in production in March 2006

Phil

"johnhh" wrote in message
. ..
Who is coming out with this monitor? Which boat show?

thanks
John

"Phil Stanton" wrote in message
Thanks to all who have contributed. I went to the boat show, and there
appears to be one coming out in February at a reasonably sensible price.
I'll believe it when I see it

Phil

"Jack Erbes" wrote in message
Phil Stanton wrote:

Can anybody point me in the direction of a 12" sunlight viewable,
waterproof screen to work from the external VGA port on my Laptop. I
want to be able to see my navigation software at the helm as well as at
the chart table.
Thanks

A quick google for "marine display" will bring you a lot of hits, here
are a few:

http://www.argonautcomputer.com/displays_tflex.htm
http://www.nauticomp.com/
http://www.navstore.com/marina_displays.asp

To run it off of a PC you'll want to get a touchscreen model. Anyone
that says "I don't need that, I'm only going to look at it..." has not
been there. And anyone that says "I'll use a cordless (name any human
interface device)..." has not tried it yet.

I've been around some good sunlight displays and have not seen a good
one yet that was not about the same price as buying a good chart
plotter. For what you spend for a good 12-15" display you can buy a
Raymarine C120 and some chart chips.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Geert Maene

"Jack Erbes" wrote in message

Phil Stanton wrote:

[...]

From - Mon

Have a look here to this french supl.
http://www.oceandatasystem.com/panas_ecran.html

--
Geert Maene.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Phil Stanton

Sorry for delay in replying. Using my Laptop for navigation yet again. Worn
out from going up and down companionway to view screen.
Allegedly Vasari Technology Ltd (http://www.vasari.net/) are going to
produce it, but in spite of a number of veryy affable conversations, they
are not there yet

Phil
. ..

"Jack Erbes" wrote in message

Phil Stanton wrote:

[...]

From - Mon

Have a look here to this french supl.
http://www.oceandatasystem.com/panas_ecran.html

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Dennis Pogson

Phil Stanton wrote:
Sorry for delay in replying. Using my Laptop for navigation yet
again. Worn out from going up and down companionway to view screen.
Allegedly Vasari Technology Ltd (http://www.vasari.net/) are going to
produce it, but in spite of a number of veryy affable conversations,
they are not there yet

Phil
wrote in message
. ..

Even if daylight-viewable waterproof screens were readily available, and
reasonably-priced, you would still have to use the laptop in a safe place
down below, so what is the point? I prefer to use my Garmin Map60C with the
same charts as my laptop so that they are identical and I can pocket the
Garmin when going up on deck. Admittedly the screen size makes it difficult
for actual navigation, but at least I have a display of sorts, and the
Bluecharts are as good as any other charts.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Phil Stanton

The point is that here in the UK we have very congested shipping lanes. I
have just been over to France for a couple of weeks, and crossing the
English Channel there were well over 40 ships (Big B*ggers) in the shipping
lanes. I get the information of what they are up to (course, speed,
destination, name etc) from my AIS "radar" and then can take the neccessary
avoiding action. Visibility was a couple of miles, and with closing speeds
of 25 knts, I had to make course alterations to avoid 3 of them and also had
to talk to one of them to check his intentions. That is why I can sit down
below at the chart table putting routes in to the computer and checking
pilot books and tides etc, and have all that information clearly in front of
me when at the helm. I don't particularly want to mess around with routes in
an open cockpit when it is p*ssing down with rain and cold. OK we do
sometimes get a couple of sunny days in England. You have said the screen
size of your Garmin is too small, so that is why I would like a 12" screen

"Dennis Pogson" wrote in message
Phil Stanton wrote:
Sorry for delay in replying. Using my Laptop for navigation yet
again. Worn out from going up and down companionway to view screen.
Allegedly Vasari Technology Ltd (http://www.vasari.net/) are going to
produce it, but in spite of a number of veryy affable conversations,
they are not there yet

Phil
wrote in message
. ..

Even if daylight-viewable waterproof screens were readily available, and
reasonably-priced, you would still have to use the laptop in a safe place
down below, so what is the point? I prefer to use my Garmin Map60C with
the
same charts as my laptop so that they are identical and I can pocket the
Garmin when going up on deck. Admittedly the screen size makes it
difficult
for actual navigation, but at least I have a display of sorts, and the
Bluecharts are as good as any other charts.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Spammy Spamson

Have a look at this (it's more than a screen):

http://seapc.se/

Check the links on their page for closest dealer.

I am aware of one person in the mail list (for my boat) that bought
one. Other than "he likes it"... I have no info screen brightness
etc.

whatcha think?

|G|

Phil Stanton wrote:
[...]

Phil,

You have my sympathy, particularly if sailing alone or with non-clued-up
friends who could do the leg work for you.

I saw many such screens at the Boat Show years ago. They were plentiful, but
hellish expensive, and quite out of the question for my own use. Have you
thought of looking for a second-hand screen from the trawler fleet? They
used to use them, and since many such vessels are now in the knackers yard,
this may be a source worth looking for. I believe most British trawlers are
broken up in Holland, but I could be wrong.

Dennis.

Waterproof Camera muzz UK Paddle 4 January 1st 06 03:07 PM
Waterproof handheld VHF suggestions? Mika the Spamkiller Electronics 6 November 28th 05 12:50 AM
Commercial Post - Unotron waterproof keyboards RuggedTech Sales Electronics 2 October 5th 05 10:28 AM