posted to rec.boats.electronics
Lloyd

Default Best PC-based Chart display software?

Hi,

I have Maptech Ocean Navigator software (came with the CD)to show the
NDI charts and my GPS-based position. I don't like it. It's too big
(takes FOREVER to load!), too complex, and for all the features, I can't
figure out simple things like getting it to auto-load a new chart when my
GPS-based boat goes off the display.

Any opinions on what I should look at? Fugawi? OziExplorer? Something
else? Note that it needs to read BSB *VERSION 4* charts (which apparently
are completely different from version 3 BSB )

Also, if anybody knows any program that runs on Linux that can read the
Ver 4 BSB charts, that would be good too (I only found ones that read Ver
3)

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

posted to rec.boats.electronics
SaltAir

LLoyd

Try the Demo of Coastal Explorer

http://rosepointnav.com/CoastalExplorer/Trial.htm

Everything you mention has the same drawback as OSN no quilting of charts.

It reads just about everthing. Also comes with all the free US charts. If
you are familiar with Microsoft Streets and Trips you will recognise the
interface.

It also supports AIS which IMHO is the greatest thing since sliced bread G

For Linux have a look at:m http://www.barcosoft.com/index2.html

SaltAir

"Lloyd" wrote in message
news
Hi,

I have Maptech Ocean Navigator software (came with the CD)to show the
NDI charts and my GPS-based position. I don't like it. It's too big
(takes FOREVER to load!), too complex, and for all the features, I can't
figure out simple things like getting it to auto-load a new chart when my
GPS-based boat goes off the display.

Any opinions on what I should look at? Fugawi? OziExplorer? Something
else? Note that it needs to read BSB *VERSION 4* charts (which apparently
are completely different from version 3 BSB )

Also, if anybody knows any program that runs on Linux that can read the
Ver 4 BSB charts, that would be good too (I only found ones that read Ver
3)

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Dene

"SaltAir" wrote in message
LLoyd

Try the Demo of Coastal Explorer

http://rosepointnav.com/CoastalExplorer/Trial.htm

Everything you mention has the same drawback as OSN no quilting of charts.

It reads just about everthing. Also comes with all the free US charts. If
you are familiar with Microsoft Streets and Trips you will recognise the
interface.

It also supports AIS which IMHO is the greatest thing since sliced bread

For Linux have a look at:m http://www.barcosoft.com/index2.html

SaltAir

I did the download. Sure like the look of it, since I am familiar with MS
Streets. However....the price sure is steep. $399.

I would think there are nautical charts that MS Streets could read.

-Greg

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Lloyd Sumpter

Thanks, Saltair!

I'm not sure I want software from Microsoft at $400 US. Also, Both
Fugawi and OziExplorer CLAIM to do "chart quilting" (if that's what it's
called): Fugawi: "new maps are automatically loaded as you travel to new
areas", and OziEx: "When you leave a map OziExplorer automatically changes
to the next map or even better, OziExplorer can search out the most
detailed map for the area you are traversing."

The Linux link looks promising, but they're not shipping yet, and they
don't specifically SAY they will read BSB V4. I have gpsdrive that reads
"common" bitmap files (jpg, gif, etc.) so if I can convert my BSB V4 files
to that I could use gpsdrive. (But the BSB converter program for Linux
only converts BSB V1-3)

Currently I have the most popular charts in pdf format on Linux (using
print to PS printer to file on OSN, and ps2pdf on Linux..). A bit awkward
and doesn't have GPS capability, but good for planning/dreaming...

Still looking...
Lloyd

"Lloyd" wrote in message
[...]

Another one to look at is Mapcruiser. www.navsim.com

Forgot Ozi now has quilting. I have found that any of the- multi-purpose
(land_sea) have been a bit clunky.

SaltAir

news

"Lloyd" wrote in message
[...]

Glen \Wiley\ Wilson

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 07:03:01 -0800, Lloyd Sumpter
wrote:

I'm not sure I want software from Microsoft at $400 US. Also, Both
Fugawi and OziExplorer CLAIM to do "chart quilting" (if that's what it's
called): Fugawi: "new maps are automatically loaded as you travel to new
areas", and OziEx: "When you leave a map OziExplorer automatically changes
to the next map or even better, OziExplorer can search out the most
detailed map for the area you are traversing."

I don't think that's actually quilting. It is switching fron one
chart to another. Quilting, if I understand it correctly, is where
the new map is opened and bjutted up against the old one. It is
probably useful, though it looks odd when charts of different scales
are manipulated to synch up with each other.

Glen "Wiley" Wilson usenet1 SPAMNIX at world wide wiley dot com
To reply, lose the capitals and do the obvious.

Take a look at cpRepeater, my NMEA data integrator, repeater, and
logger at http://www.worldwidewiley.com/

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 15:49:14 GMT, "SaltAir" wrote:

Forgot Ozi now has quilting. I have found that any of the- multi-purpose
(land_sea) have been a bit clunky.

SaltAir

I like Ozi quite a bit, but I agree with your statement. The easiest
on-the-water software I've used is probably CAPN, but I don't care for
it much for other reasons. I think it's a good choice if you just
want to throw something on a PC and have it work.
Glen "Wiley" Wilson usenet1 SPAMNIX at world wide wiley dot com
To reply, lose the capitals and do the obvious.

Take a look at cpRepeater, my NMEA data integrator, repeater, and
logger at http://www.worldwidewiley.com/
posted to rec.boats.electronics
SaltAir

I never played with the Capt. I really liked Chartview Pro from Nautical
sotware but it ended up being rolled into Nobeltec. Now, to get all its
features I would need to have Nobeltec Aldml for $1200. Little things stood
out for examle, minimal mouse clicks to get things done. Complete screen
intensity control in night vision. The ability to see time to any waypoint
in a route from a simple dropdown menu to name just a few.

Of the current programs I gotta pick Coastal Explorer. They seem to be
paying attention to Navigators needs. It has good AIS support. It reads any
S57 chart not just NOAA ENC as is the case with Nobeltec 8. Touchscreen
friendly. I would say that they are going to be around for a while as they
are also the Core of Maptechs new offering that includes many DVD's of US
TOPO/NAUTICAL data as well as 3D rendering .

If thats to much for you budget OSN is still a good bet. Under a hundred
bucks (free with canadian charts), intigrated tides and currents, good nav
tools and proper night vision (red). True there is no Quilting. IIRC the way
around that is when the chart is coming to an end you right click near the
edge and choose the next chart with a left click. The other way of dealing
with chart changes was to "link charts". I think its a little square tick
box on the lower left screen.

SaltAir

"Glen "Wiley" Wilson" wrote in
message ...
On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 15:49:14 GMT, "SaltAir" wrote:

Forgot Ozi now has quilting. I have found that any of the- multi-purpose
(land_sea) have been a bit clunky.

SaltAir

I like Ozi quite a bit, but I agree with your statement. The easiest
on-the-water software I've used is probably CAPN, but I don't care for
it much for other reasons. I think it's a good choice if you just
want to throw something on a PC and have it work.
Glen "Wiley" Wilson usenet1 SPAMNIX at world wide wiley dot com
To reply, lose the capitals and do the obvious.

Take a look at cpRepeater, my NMEA data integrator, repeater, and
logger at http://www.worldwidewiley.com/

posted to rec.boats.electronics
David

Could have a look at DigiBOAT. The application is free, it does all
the simple stuff really well and comes with a user-selectable demo
chart for free. The catch is that it only reads CMAP Vector charts,
but the boat delivery guys down here in Australia swear by it.

http://www.digiboat.com.au/

Chart Display Software on PC Lloyd General 0 November 21st 05 06:24 PM
Garmin software JIm Cruising 0 November 6th 05 03:59 PM
Antsoft Best domain software Vasilisa General 0 October 5th 05 05:39 PM
Antsoft Best domain software Vasilisa General 0 October 5th 05 05:39 PM