Default Skymate email/weather

Hi,

I've searched the newsgroups for any real world opinions on Skymate
(http://www.skymate.com) - but, can't really find anything that seems
persuasive.

Is there anyone out there who has experience with the system, or has
heard opinions from other cruisers who use Skymate.

hoping to avoid the negatives of other systems.

Globalstar - poor coverage in eastern Carib.

Iridium - expensive

SSB/Pactor - expensive and long waits for a connection

Cell phone - can't lose sight of land

--- What would be the best suggestion if starting from scratch.

Thanks,

Mike.

Dennis Pogson

(
http://www.skymate.com) - but, can't really find anything that seems
persuasive.

Is there anyone out there who has experience with the system, or has
heard opinions from other cruisers who use Skymate.

hoping to avoid the negatives of other systems.

Globalstar - poor coverage in eastern Carib.

Iridium - expensive

SSB/Pactor - expensive and long waits for a connection

Cell phone - can't lose sight of land

--- What would be the best suggestion if starting from scratch.

Thanks,

Mike.

Has this something to do with the Mile-High club? Not a member, yet!

Geoff Schultz

The first question which needs to be asked is where are you planning on
using this? Next, what are your needs? What are you going to use it
for?

wrote in news:1130722988.556888.251390
@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Hi,

I've searched the newsgroups for any real world opinions on Skymate
(
http://www.skymate.com) - but, can't really find anything that seems
persuasive.

Is there anyone out there who has experience with the system, or has
heard opinions from other cruisers who use Skymate.

hoping to avoid the negatives of other systems.

Globalstar - poor coverage in eastern Carib.

Had terrible problems last year in the western Caribbean with no
coverage. Comperable in cost to Iridium.

Iridium - expensive

No more than Globalstar. I pay $1/min with no monthly fees. If you're
using this to send e-mail, either satellite system might get pricey.

SSB/Pactor - expensive and long waits for a connection

Which part is expensive? You'll probably need an SSB for general
communication, so that should be removed from the equation. Then
compare the cost of a Pactor to a satellite phone. You'll probably find
the Pactor cheaper. AirMail is free and SailMail is $250/yr.

As far as long waits...Well, if you're receiving weather faxes from the
NWS, there's no waiting. They come on schedule. If you're downloading
the weather charts or GRIB files from SailDocs or a similar service,
then yes, you you'll have connect to AirMail or SailMail and download
the images. However, with Pactor 3 this is generally a fast process. I
can typically connect to SailMail within minutes. I'm not a ham, but my
ham friends can connect without much problem. Note that you can't
conduct business on AirMail.

Cell phone - can't lose sight of land

Cell phones in the eastern Caribbean are a waste of time in my opinion,
unless you're going to spend a lot of time in 1 island/country. The
problem is that every island/country seems to have its own phone service
and you can't simply roam between islands. If you do, you'll find that
the costs are astronomical. I must admit that I haven't been in the
Eastern Caribbean since 2001, so things may have changed, but I doubt
it.

--- What would be the best suggestion if starting from scratch.

In reality I think that you need a SSB/Pactor for boat to boat
communication, e-mail, and weather faxes. A satellite phone is very
nice if you want to make calls from anywhere. I'd forget a cell phone.

Thanks,

Mike.

-- Geoff

Awsome

I am using Trackvision Satellite TV system to get Directway (2way) Internet
on my boat after some modifications, now I can surf internet / email while
cruising or at marinas all the way from North to Caribbean. I hooked up
vonage VOIP phone service with internet on my boat and now have 24 hours
phone service as well. I pay only $24 / month for Vonage service (unlimited
calling all states in USA and Canada) and another $59 for Internet
connectivity through Direcway. Its a blessing have a working internet and
phone on boat while cruising. I am using it for over a year now.... not a
single problem. During my last trip to carib. I let other boaters to use my
internet through Wi-Fi and some were making free calls to USA using my VOIP
phone :-)

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I've searched the newsgroups for any real world opinions on Skymate
(http://www.skymate.com) - but, can't really find anything that seems
persuasive.

Is there anyone out there who has experience with the system, or has
heard opinions from other cruisers who use Skymate.

hoping to avoid the negatives of other systems.

Globalstar - poor coverage in eastern Carib.

Iridium - expensive

SSB/Pactor - expensive and long waits for a connection

Cell phone - can't lose sight of land

--- What would be the best suggestion if starting from scratch.

Thanks,

Mike.

Glenn Ashmore

Will Direcway give you any credit for using the KVH antenna rather than the
one that comes with the package or do they charge extra to modify it?

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

. ..

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I've searched the newsgroups for any real world opinions on Skymate
(http://www.skymate.com) - but, can't really find anything that seems
persuasive.

Is there anyone out there who has experience with the system, or has
heard opinions from other cruisers who use Skymate.

hoping to avoid the negatives of other systems.

Globalstar - poor coverage in eastern Carib.

Iridium - expensive

SSB/Pactor - expensive and long waits for a connection

Cell phone - can't lose sight of land

--- What would be the best suggestion if starting from scratch.

Thanks,

Mike.

Geoff Schultz

The Caribbean is a big place. What's your definition of "the
Caribbean?" DirecWay (no "T") is at its outer limits in
Belize/Guatemala.

-- Geoff

"Awsome" wrote in
:

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I've searched the newsgroups for any real world opinions on Skymate
(http://www.skymate.com) - but, can't really find anything that seems
persuasive.

Is there anyone out there who has experience with the system, or has
heard opinions from other cruisers who use Skymate.

hoping to avoid the negatives of other systems.

Globalstar - poor coverage in eastern Carib.

Iridium - expensive

SSB/Pactor - expensive and long waits for a connection

Cell phone - can't lose sight of land

--- What would be the best suggestion if starting from scratch.

Thanks,

Mike.

Awsome

Originally I bought KVH antenna for Satellite TV but later I did
modifications myself by installing Direcway transmitting and receiving LNB
on it. This solution is much cheaper as compare to getting a Inmarsat
Internet system from KVH.

KVH don't offer any thing for Direcway Internet as far as I know, I am not
sure if they will do any modifications on KVH marine system to receive
Direcway Internet. You have to call them and find out.

was for
"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
Will Direcway give you any credit for using the KVH antenna rather than
the one that comes with the package or do they charge extra to modify it?

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

. ..

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I've searched the newsgroups for any real world opinions on Skymate
(http://www.skymate.com) - but, can't really find anything that seems
persuasive.

Is there anyone out there who has experience with the system, or has
heard opinions from other cruisers who use Skymate.

hoping to avoid the negatives of other systems.

Globalstar - poor coverage in eastern Carib.

Iridium - expensive

SSB/Pactor - expensive and long waits for a connection

Cell phone - can't lose sight of land

--- What would be the best suggestion if starting from scratch.

Thanks,

Mike.

Awsome

I cruised from Florida to Bahamas, San Juan, St. John's , Fort-de France and
many other places. Here is the link for Direcway coverage:

http://www.groundcontrol.com/coverage_001.htm

I switched the satellites depending on my locations and the best signal
streanth I can get.

6...

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I've searched the newsgroups for any real world opinions on Skymate
(http://www.skymate.com) - but, can't really find anything that seems
persuasive.

Is there anyone out there who has experience with the system, or has
heard opinions from other cruisers who use Skymate.

hoping to avoid the negatives of other systems.

Globalstar - poor coverage in eastern Carib.

Iridium - expensive

SSB/Pactor - expensive and long waits for a connection

Cell phone - can't lose sight of land

--- What would be the best suggestion if starting from scratch.

Thanks,

Mike.

Mic

On Sat, 5 Nov 2005 08:09:59 -0500, "Glenn Ashmore"
wrote:

Will Direcway give you any credit for using the KVH antenna rather than the
one that comes with the package or do they charge extra to modify it?

--
Glenn Ashmore

REPOST
http://www.sailnet.com/messageboards...=4&Topic=12040

Finally, a flat phased-array dish( not the tall and expensive KVH
model you may have seen for sale that tracks inside a tall 18 to 20
inch dome and is a fortune to buy), but a dish and 12 volt small
receiver designed for cars, SUV's and RV's and they will also work on
boats. Average cost I am seeing is 1800.00

The dish, is actually very flat( like a pancake) and designed to bolt
to the roof of a SUV or car. Now also being marketed as a marine or RV
compatible setup. Yes, in a car you can go around turns, up hills and
down hills and the reception is great. So i figured it might be good
for a boat. Not so good when your boat is heeled hard over obviously
or the mast is in the way of the southern sky. But on the hook or in
the slip or sailing/cruising on-plane or flat( not heeled) the signal
should be OK.

It is KVH's latest array. the A5 Here is what one of many salesmen
have emailed me...

( in answere to my boat compatability and short comings for marine
use)"...To answer your first question, in calm water and/or docked at
a slip you should have no trouble with the tilt and awe. The antenna
is able to track the signal even when a vehicle is moving up and down
inclines. We went as far as doing sharp radius donuts in an empty
Walmart paking lot at speeds of 25 MPH and pulling .70 of a G. The
signal was still locked on and picture and sound were both crystal
clear. We take our demo vehicle to shows and at speeds over 90 MPH the
signal stays locked on and crystal clear. Only under 6 lane overpasses
do we ever experience short losses of signal but it will lock right
back on to the signal because it is a constant tracking antenna just
like the big KVH domes. It is also servo driven but the guys at KVH
run the power for the servo through the RG6 Coaxial cable, brilliant
idea so now there is only one wire that hooks the antenna to the
reciever, no extra power cables to run to it. I don't know at which
point the motion of open water running it would loose it's tracking,
but at the dock or driving slow in calm water you should not have a
problem as long is there is nothing above you blocking the signal. You
will have to use DirecTV for service but if you have it at your house
you can add it to you boat for just $4.99 a month. As for the
internet,if you check out www.kvh.com you will see that the A5 is
capable of receiving the Internet data but just like all other KVH
antennas you will still need the Tracphone 252 or better to be able to
receive and send phone and data streams. KVH invented this product for
consumer vehicles but I get more buyers from RV and Marine than for
personal vehicles. KVH has noticed this and you know see them
advertising the A5 for RV and Marine. I guess they catch on quick. I
hope this has been helpful,please do not hesitate to ask if you have
anymore questions.