Awsome

Default Skymate email/weather

I am using Trackvision Satellite TV system to get Directway (2way) Internet
on my boat after some modifications, now I can surf internet / email while
cruising or at marinas all the way from North to Caribbean. I hooked up
vonage VOIP phone service with internet on my boat and now have 24 hours
phone service as well. I pay only $24 / month for Vonage service (unlimited
calling all states in USA and Canada) and another $59 for Internet
connectivity through Direcway. Its a blessing have a working internet and
phone on boat while cruising. I am using it for over a year now.... not a
single problem. During my last trip to carib. I let other boaters to use my
internet through Wi-Fi and some were making free calls to USA using my VOIP
phone :-)

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I've searched the newsgroups for any real world opinions on Skymate
(http://www.skymate.com) - but, can't really find anything that seems
persuasive.

Is there anyone out there who has experience with the system, or has
heard opinions from other cruisers who use Skymate.

hoping to avoid the negatives of other systems.

Globalstar - poor coverage in eastern Carib.

Iridium - expensive

SSB/Pactor - expensive and long waits for a connection

Cell phone - can't lose sight of land

--- What would be the best suggestion if starting from scratch.

Thanks,

Mike.