Awsome

Default Skymate email/weather

I cruised from Florida to Bahamas, San Juan, St. John's , Fort-de France and
many other places. Here is the link for Direcway coverage:

http://www.groundcontrol.com/coverage_001.htm

I switched the satellites depending on my locations and the best signal
streanth I can get.

"Geoff Schultz" wrote in message
6...
The Caribbean is a big place. What's your definition of "the
Caribbean?" DirecWay (no "T") is at its outer limits in
Belize/Guatemala.

-- Geoff

"Awsome" wrote in
:

I am using Trackvision Satellite TV system to get Directway (2way)
Internet on my boat after some modifications, now I can surf internet
/ email while cruising or at marinas all the way from North to
Caribbean. I hooked up vonage VOIP phone service with internet on my
boat and now have 24 hours phone service as well. I pay only $24 /
month for Vonage service (unlimited calling all states in USA and
Canada) and another $59 for Internet connectivity through Direcway.
Its a blessing have a working internet and phone on boat while
cruising. I am using it for over a year now.... not a single problem.
During my last trip to carib. I let other boaters to use my internet
through Wi-Fi and some were making free calls to USA using my VOIP
phone :-)

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I've searched the newsgroups for any real world opinions on Skymate
(http://www.skymate.com) - but, can't really find anything that seems
persuasive.

Is there anyone out there who has experience with the system, or has
heard opinions from other cruisers who use Skymate.

hoping to avoid the negatives of other systems.

Globalstar - poor coverage in eastern Carib.

Iridium - expensive

SSB/Pactor - expensive and long waits for a connection

Cell phone - can't lose sight of land

--- What would be the best suggestion if starting from scratch.

Thanks,

Mike.