Awsome

Default Skymate email/weather

Originally I bought KVH antenna for Satellite TV but later I did
modifications myself by installing Direcway transmitting and receiving LNB
on it. This solution is much cheaper as compare to getting a Inmarsat
Internet system from KVH.

KVH don't offer any thing for Direcway Internet as far as I know, I am not
sure if they will do any modifications on KVH marine system to receive
Direcway Internet. You have to call them and find out.

was for
"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
Will Direcway give you any credit for using the KVH antenna rather than
the one that comes with the package or do they charge extra to modify it?

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Awsome" wrote in message
. ..
I am using Trackvision Satellite TV system to get Directway (2way)
Internet on my boat after some modifications, now I can surf internet /
email while cruising or at marinas all the way from North to Caribbean. I
hooked up vonage VOIP phone service with internet on my boat and now have
24 hours phone service as well. I pay only $24 / month for Vonage service
(unlimited calling all states in USA and Canada) and another $59 for
Internet connectivity through Direcway. Its a blessing have a working
internet and phone on boat while cruising. I am using it for over a year
now.... not a single problem. During my last trip to carib. I let other
boaters to use my internet through Wi-Fi and some were making free calls
to USA using my VOIP phone :-)

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I've searched the newsgroups for any real world opinions on Skymate
(http://www.skymate.com) - but, can't really find anything that seems
persuasive.

Is there anyone out there who has experience with the system, or has
heard opinions from other cruisers who use Skymate.

hoping to avoid the negatives of other systems.

Globalstar - poor coverage in eastern Carib.

Iridium - expensive

SSB/Pactor - expensive and long waits for a connection

Cell phone - can't lose sight of land

--- What would be the best suggestion if starting from scratch.

Thanks,

Mike.