Daniel

Default Navionics charts

I have a Navionics MMC for my Raymarine C120 display and would like to
be able to look at the maps on my laptop while at home. No problem in
reading the file with a card reader but then? There are several nv2
binary files and I have no idea on how to handle them beside opening
them (uselessly) with emacs.
Any free or cheap software to read them?

Daniel
da2ny

My understanding is that if you insert a Navionics CF card in a computer
card reader, it will render the card unusable. Navionics puts warnings to
this effect on their packages. It is also my understanding that Raymarine
plans to introduce RayNav 6.0 later this year or early in 06 which will
allow you to network a computer with your
E or C system and allow you to view your charts, etc and plan routes on your
PC.

"Daniel" wrote in message
I have a Navionics MMC for my Raymarine C120 display and would like to be
able to look at the maps on my laptop while at home. No problem in reading
the file with a card reader but then? There are several nv2 binary files
and I have no idea on how to handle them beside opening them (uselessly)
with emacs.
Any free or cheap software to read them?

Daniel

Geoff Schultz

I've placed my Navionics card in my laptop without any issues. It's a
compact flash card, nothing else. Do you think that it has some special
logic built in? You're nuts if you think that...

-- Geoff

"da2ny" wrote in
ink.net:

"Daniel" wrote in message
I have a Navionics MMC for my Raymarine C120 display and would like to
be able to look at the maps on my laptop while at home. No problem in
reading the file with a card reader but then? There are several nv2
binary files and I have no idea on how to handle them beside opening
them (uselessly) with emacs.
Any free or cheap software to read them?

Daniel

Daniele Fua

Geoff Schultz wrote:
I've placed my Navionics card in my laptop without any issues. It's a
compact flash card, nothing else. Do you think that it has some special
logic built in? You're nuts if you think that...

-- Geoff

I agree with you. Just plain binary files on a particular medium that
can be copied, looked at or whatever you may think of.
Unfortunately nobody seems to be able to answer my question: having
lawfully bought a card for my cartographic gps, what can I do to make
that bunch of HEX (or BINARY) digits helpful on my home PC without
applying for a mortgage? I already applied for it to buy the gps and the
original Navionics card... :-)

Daniel