Chuck Tribolet

Default Humminbird 981C/987C Sidescan Performance

Anybody have any experience with the Humminbird 981C/987C sidescan SONAR
units?

I'm particularly interested in the performance in the 60-100' range in
sal****er.

Chuck Tribolet

posted to rec.boats.electronics
bhampton

I have been using mine for about 2 weeks
and I have been very very happy with it.
I have a 16 foot zodak which is a small platform for a sidescan.
I used in on the columbia river in central washington.
there are many boils,mini whirlpools and back eddys. and it was moving
about 4mph so mostly up stream was the only way to get a good scan.
in 55 feet of water i set the sidescan at max range of 360ft and it
looks like the returns craped out at about 200 feet. on the 455Khz
setting.
I did nome math and the sonar path to a location 55 ft down and 200
feet out is like 207 feet and it you have a setting of 150 feet out and
150 feet down it is like 212 I think this is near the best range, you
may be able to tweek the sensitivity a bit.
also there is a 255Khz setting that may punch through a bit further.
hope this helps brad

--
bhampton
bhampton's Profile: http://www.highdots.com/forums/m1469