Big gus

Default Raytheon Raychart 601 connected to A R41 XX radar

Hi all

I have this issue
I have done a hard reset on both units

The Raychart puts the chart on the radar screen ok but after about 30
seconds, the chart plotting seems to lock up. With the exception of ,
you can still move the cross-hairs and only the cross hairs. no other
button on the 601 does anything except the power button

If you power off and then back on the 601, it will work fine for abut
30 more seconds.

ANy thoughts?

Thanks
Mark

Doug

"Big gus" wrote in message
Hi all

I have this issue
I have done a hard reset on both units

The Raychart puts the chart on the radar screen ok but after about 30
seconds, the chart plotting seems to lock up. With the exception of ,
you can still move the cross-hairs and only the cross hairs. no other
button on the 601 does anything except the power button

If you power off and then back on the 601, it will work fine for abut
30 more seconds.

ANy thoughts?

Thanks
Mark

The Raychart 600 series usually had a nicad battery on a small daughter PCB.
These batteries go bad and leak, eventually getting onto the main circuit
board. I would remove the case and inspect for battery damage...carefully
clean it up and inspect for circuit traces etched open by the battery goop.
If you are lucky, a cleaning and replacement of the entire daughter assembly
with fresh battery will fix it. The assemblies run around $ 20 from
Raymarine. They are solder in assemblies, so if not qualified, get it to a
service shop. Wash hands thoroughly after you are done as this stuff contain
cadmium, a poison.

Doug K7ABX

Big gus

Thanks for the reply

I will check this

How-ever...

I have another unit (601 chart) and I connected it for trouble
shooting purposes, and its doing the same thing

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 18:58:12 GMT, "Doug"
wrote:

"Big gus" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Larry W4CSC

Big gus wrote in
:

The Raychart puts the chart on the radar screen ok but after about 30
seconds, the chart plotting seems to lock up. With the exception of ,
you can still move the cross-hairs and only the cross hairs. no other
button on the 601 does anything except the power button

When I returned the 2nd corroded-up Raymarine radome to them for "repair",
I also included the RL70CRC color chart plotter/radar display unit with it.
Raymarine found one hardware fault in it and lots of upgraded firmware to
put in it from all the firmware program corrections and bug fixes
discovered.

Might not be a bad idea to give Raymarine a call with that model and serial
number in your hand so they can look to see if you need a firmware upgrade
or hardware repair. Their upgrade on ours fixed a niggling problem we had
trying to get the screen to point up to match the boat's course correctly.
It also had an error in the Seatalk communications. Our Raymarine compass
sensor now calibrates properly and the Smart Heading Sensor gyro-compass
unit now gives proper input to the RL70CRC display.

I think you have a firmware fault that needs fixing.

--
Larry

You know you've had a rough night when you wake up and you're outlined in
chalk.

Doug

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
Big gus wrote in
:

[...]

Larry, The 601 and R41 were Raytheon products, not Raymarine. The R41XX was
actually OEMed by JRC.
You are mixing apples and oranges trying to compare it with Raymarine stuff.
Incidentally Raymarine doesn't support the 600 series anymore. Have had to
trash 3 of them this month.
73
Doug K7ABX

Larry W4CSC

"Doug" wrote in
link.net:

Larry, The 601 and R41 were Raytheon products, not Raymarine. The
R41XX was actually OEMed by JRC.
You are mixing apples and oranges trying to compare it with Raymarine
stuff. Incidentally Raymarine doesn't support the 600 series anymore.
Have had to trash 3 of them this month.
73
Doug K7ABX

Oh, sorry. I didn't know it was that old. No, they won't support anything
old....neither will keyboard companies, any more.