Lars E.

Default Using my own map with i.e Raymarine or other equipment

Hello,

I am considering buying i.e the Raymarine RC435 GPS Chartplotter.
The problem is that there are no detailed maps in my area.
I have access to a very good layered map on a vector format.
Does anyone know if it is somehow possible to use my
own maps with the RC435?
Is there any other product that I might use?

I am willing to do some software programming myself.
If someone could help me with information on the format
that the RC435 needs that would be great.

Best Regards,
Lars E.
Larry W4CSC

Lars, have you ever considered a Yeoman paper chart plotter?
http://www.yeomanuk.co.uk/home/index2.htm
You can calibrate 3 points on any map, even a common road map, and use the
Yeoman to plot courses, find azimuth and distance and the lat/long of any
point on the map...just by clicking the "mouse" of the plotter puck.

We use ours to provide hourly plots on paper charts from our NMEA network
data and for trip planning as paper charts are much easier to use than
stupid, slow-loading GPS plotter charts jumping around. If all the
electronics goes tits up, including the Yeoman, we can still see our course
and current position on the plastic overlay we draw on over the paper
chart. If the Yeoman survives the blast, I can plug the handheld GPS into
it and just continue to use the handheld and Yeoman to provide navigation.

"Lars E." wrote in news
Hello,

I am considering buying i.e the Raymarine RC435 GPS Chartplotter.
The problem is that there are no detailed maps in my area.
I have access to a very good layered map on a vector format.
Does anyone know if it is somehow possible to use my
own maps with the RC435?
Is there any other product that I might use?

I am willing to do some software programming myself.
If someone could help me with information on the format
that the RC435 needs that would be great.

Best Regards,
Lars E.

Dennis Pogson

Lars E. wrote:
Hello,

I am considering buying i.e the Raymarine RC435 GPS Chartplotter.
The problem is that there are no detailed maps in my area.
I have access to a very good layered map on a vector format.
Does anyone know if it is somehow possible to use my
own maps with the RC435?
Is there any other product that I might use?

I am willing to do some software programming myself.
If someone could help me with information on the format
that the RC435 needs that would be great.

Best Regards,
Lars E.

Its unlikely that any dedicated chart plotter will use maps or charts that
you can buy off-the-shelf, since the charts are where the profit lies in
this game. Either use Yeoman with paper charts from any chandler, or use a
laptop with Oziexplorer or one of the vector applications.

Ozi will display an infinite number of graphics file formats, import them
from many other nav. programmes, and allow you do carry out your own
updates. What more can you wish for?

Dennis.

--
Digital Photo-charts fo all UK areas.
Remove 'nospam' to reply.

Lars E.

På Sat, 30 Apr 2005 08:39:37 GMT, skrev Dennis Pogson
:

Lars E. wrote:
Hello,

I am considering buying i.e the Raymarine RC435 GPS Chartplotter.
The problem is that there are no detailed maps in my area.
I have access to a very good layered map on a vector format.
Does anyone know if it is somehow possible to use my
own maps with the RC435?
Is there any other product that I might use?

I am willing to do some software programming myself.
If someone could help me with information on the format
that the RC435 needs that would be great.

Best Regards,
Lars E.

Its unlikely that any dedicated chart plotter will use maps or charts
that
you can buy off-the-shelf, since the charts are where the profit lies in
this game.

Thanks for your reply Dennis,
One would believe that the feature of loading your own maps
into a chart plotter could be a major selling point. But, if
no vendor makes the first move I guess the market is stuck.

Either use Yeoman with paper charts from any chandler, or use a
laptop with Oziexplorer or one of the vector applications.

Which vector applications are you referring to?

Ozi will display an infinite number of graphics file formats, import them
from many other nav. programmes, and allow you do carry out your own
updates. What more can you wish for?

Dennis.

Not much, really.
The only problem is that my friends with Raymarines are stuck...

Thanks!
Best Regards,
Lars E.
Dennis Pogson

Lars E. wrote:
[...]

Well, 2 well-known ones are Transas Marine and Garmin Mapsource Bluecharts,
both expensive.

Ozi will display an infinite number of graphics file formats, import
them from many other nav. programmes, and allow you do carry out
your own updates. What more can you wish for?

Dennis.

Not much, really.
The only problem is that my friends with Raymarines are stuck...

Thanks!
Best Regards,
Lars E.

Lars,
Have a look at the following web page, it lists most of the suppliers of
vector chart (ENC) readers and associated GPS-link programs.
http://nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/mcd/enc/resource.htm

This does not mean you can use the free ENC's from NOAA with your Raymarine
RC435, and in any case they are mostly for US coastlines, but it might start
you on a journey which could end with a partial or full solution to your
problem!

--
Digital Photo-charts fo all UK areas.
Remove 'nospam' to reply.

Hey Lars,
Your are discovering what we all eventually find out about proprietary
map formats.

The thing that is closest to what you want to do is made by Fugawi.
You can scan in maps, calibrate them and then use a pc hooked to a gps
receiver. Admittedly, you have to be a bit of nerd to do it but the
results are nice in that what you have on paper is exactly what you see
on the pc or PDA screen.

They also have the feature of downloading the maps to fugawi software
running on a PDA. I use that feature a lot on old PalmIIIxe. The
newer PDAs with high res color and bluetooth wireless for the GPS
receiver makes a nice combination as well. All it takes is $.

Yes, we need one of the major chartplotter to break ranks. Lowrance
uses the argument that their compression technology is so good that
they can't disclose it. That's not really a valid argument anymore now
that flash memory has gotten so cheap.

Have fun.

Don