Larry W4CSC

Default Is your Raymarine 2KW radome corroded?

"Lionheart" has just received her third Raymarine 2KW radome because
Raymarine couldn't save the corroded guts of numbers 1 and 2. It seems to
happen every year. The dome is NOT sealed, but has only 4 screws holding
the top to the bottom with a sort-of rubber seal between the flimsy halves
that are easily flexed. I don't think this is leaking, though. I think
the radome's little rubber tit drain vents the pressurized air inside the
dome out as it sits in the hot SC sunshine, then sucks in a big gulp of
99.9% humidity sea air as the sun sets. During the night, the colder dome
and POT METAL zinc chassis inside it condense the humidity into water that
corrodes the hell out of it all night until the sun rises in the morning.
As the POT METAL zinc chassis doesn't get sunlight, it is colder all
morning and the water condensation on it actually increases as the water on
the now-heating dome vaporizes into 100% humidity inside the dome in the
morning. The water never drains out of this box as the bottom of it is
FLAT, not pitched towards the little rubber tit drain. Opening the dome
finds FRESH water sitting in the bottom, and condensing on all interior
parts. I tasted it and there's no salt taste. It has rained in Charleston
VERY infrequently of late. This much water couldn't have survived the long
periods of fair weather.

I'd like to hear from other Raymarine owners of 2KW and 4KW radomes that
have opened them after many months of on-mast service to see what they've
found inside. Our magnetrons have RUSTED. The unprotected pot metal
chassis is all corroded. If you remove the aluminum (more galvanic
action?) cover from the receiver cavity and its rubber seal, the INSIDE of
the pot metal chassis looks like a zinc that's been in the river....all
white corrosion and pitted. This is because this pot metal box ISN'T
sealed because it's open to the high humidity inside the dome where the
power and data connectors are sticking through....wide open.....

Take the dome off yours and let me know what you find. This swapping out
radomes every year is stupid!

Hello to all I remember. The Gulfstreamer Race from Daytona Beach to
Charleston was great, even though we all got becalmed 90 miles S of
Charleston for hours and hours in DEAD CALM and dropped out to motor home.
The big Amel Sharki ketch saw over 13 knots on the GPS all night before
that. We all had a ball!

tkranz

I have a 15 year old Raytheon set that has lived in Florida and Bahamian
waters all it's life. I often open it to grease the gears.

There is essentially NO corrosion of the kind you describe. I don't think
your problem is with the fresh water moisture. It sure sounds like an
electrolysis problem. Is your unit grounded per specs? Do you have
electrolysis problems in other parts of your boat?

Hope this info is useful.

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
[...]

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 20:56:53 GMT, Larry W4CSC wrote:

[...]

I look inside every year. Nothing like that so far (3 years). Previous
radar was a Furuno 1720. Nothing like that in 11 years. The Furuno had
the same sort of drain as the Ray.

It does get hot and humid on the Hudson, but not as often as in SC.

Hello to all I remember. The Gulfstreamer Race from Daytona Beach to
Charleston was great, even though we all got becalmed 90 miles S of
Charleston for hours and hours in DEAD CALM and dropped out to motor home.
The big Amel Sharki ketch saw over 13 knots on the GPS all night before
that. We all had a ball!

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

For your upscale SUV: Dingle-balls hand knit of natural Icelandic yarn
Karl Denninger

I have a 4kw dome on my Hatt, and haven't had a lick of trouble with it
in 4 years of ownership...

Its due for its annual inspection (by me), but so far I've seen nothing out
of the ordinary when I've opened it up - and certainly nothing like you're
describing!

Karl Denninger ) Internet Consultant & Kids Rights Activist
http://www.denninger.net My home on the net - links to everything I do!
http://scubaforum.org Your UNCENSORED place to talk about DIVING!
http://www.spamcuda.net SPAM FREE mailboxes - FREE FOR A LIMITED TIME!
http://genesis3.blogspot.com Musings Of A Sentient Mind

In article ,
Larry W4CSC wrote:

[...]

Jetcap

Maybe you should seal it with one of your "licenses."

Rick

Keith

I bought the 2KW radome because I watched THREE 4KW open arrays get replaced
on my pier alone because they were full of water. Supposedly a design defect
that they had corrected. I've only opened it up once, and that was to
replace a bad cable. It looked fine, and I even put a dessicator packet in
there just in case. I won't open it up again unless it fails.

The other story... the radar just quit on me on a trip home. It was under
warranty. The techs came out, couldn't get it to work, called the factory
and said they had to send it all back for repair. EIGHT weeks later it came
back, and still didn't work. Turned out to be a bad cable.

Now I don't know if Raymarine just won't hire the staff to fix their stuff,
or ALL their stuff is coming back for warranty repair, or both. I'm just
glad that was a lull in my cruising. If I had been out cruising, EIGHT weeks
was far too long to fix something so critical. I now tell everyone to steer
clear of Raymarine and get Furuno.

--

Keith
__
[...]

Wayne.B

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 13:40:40 GMT, "Keith"
wrote:

I now tell everyone to steer
clear of Raymarine and get Furuno.

=================================

I hope that's good advice because I just got a new Furuno system.
Interestingly it came with a replacement rubber seal for the radome
cable entry which is slightly larger than the original.

I like to look at what commercial fishing boats are using, and there
seem to be a lot of Furunos out there. In defense of Raymarine
however my last boat had a 20 y/o R41xx that was still going strong
and never required service. My present boat came with a 20 y/o R21
that is also still working but a bit out dated.

Keith

Yea, Raytheon (the older stuff) was great, but it seems that since they
split from the parent company and became Raymarine, they've really cut
corners and cheapened the product.

--

Keith
__
"Wayne.B" wrote in message

I like to look at what commercial fishing boats are using, and there
seem to be a lot of Furunos out there. In defense of Raymarine
however my last boat had a 20 y/o R41xx that was still going strong
and never required service. My present boat came with a 20 y/o R21
that is also still working but a bit out dated.

Larry W4CSC

"tkranz" wrote in
:

I have a 15 year old Raytheon set that has lived in Florida and
Bahamian waters all it's life. I often open it to grease the gears.

There is essentially NO corrosion of the kind you describe. I don't
think your problem is with the fresh water moisture. It sure sounds
like an electrolysis problem. Is your unit grounded per specs? Do
you have electrolysis problems in other parts of your boat?

There aren't any "gears". The new 2KW radomes have a flat piece of PC
board with a phased array of stripline antennas on them. It sits on a pin
where the RF enters from the waveguide. Around that is a pulley with a
rubber O-ring that's driven from a stepper motor pulsed by the PC board
inside the potmetal box. The motor is the same one used to pull the
printhead back and forth in a PC printer. The pulse rate sets the rotation
rate of the pc board antenna. No gears, it's cheap.

The water in the dome is fresh water. I've tasted it. It's condensate
from the air breathing in and out of the dome every day with no way of
escaping until the flat bottom of the dome is flooded enough to drain out
the tiny rubber tube grommeted into a hole in the flat bottom.

Too bad Raytheon isn't making good radars any more for small boats. Looks
like yours is much more sophisticated than ours.