Larry W4CSC

"tkranz" wrote in
:

I have a 15 year old Raytheon set that has lived in Florida and
Bahamian waters all it's life. I often open it to grease the gears.

There is essentially NO corrosion of the kind you describe. I don't
think your problem is with the fresh water moisture. It sure sounds
like an electrolysis problem. Is your unit grounded per specs? Do
you have electrolysis problems in other parts of your boat?

There aren't any "gears". The new 2KW radomes have a flat piece of PC
board with a phased array of stripline antennas on them. It sits on a pin
where the RF enters from the waveguide. Around that is a pulley with a
rubber O-ring that's driven from a stepper motor pulsed by the PC board
inside the potmetal box. The motor is the same one used to pull the
printhead back and forth in a PC printer. The pulse rate sets the rotation
rate of the pc board antenna. No gears, it's cheap.

The water in the dome is fresh water. I've tasted it. It's condensate
from the air breathing in and out of the dome every day with no way of
escaping until the flat bottom of the dome is flooded enough to drain out
the tiny rubber tube grommeted into a hole in the flat bottom.

Too bad Raytheon isn't making good radars any more for small boats. Looks
like yours is much more sophisticated than ours.