C. Sadler

Default Raymarine raytheon 4Kw Radome array question

I've got a unit that is about 7 years old.
Recently, it started turning erratically, causing the display to
pop the Antenna not rotating message, and shutting off.

The antenna's turning, but slows about every 1 to 1.5 revolutions.

I've changed the belt, and had a good look at the unit. It appears
clean, and uncorroded.
I'd like to suspect the stepper motor, as that would be a pretty cheap
fix, but before I go there, I'd like to hear some opinions of what
else might
be causing the stepper to speed up and slow down like that.

TIA
Paul Schilter

C. Sadler,
Did you spin the antenna by hand? Did you feel any binding or high
spots? If so you could have a bearing that's going, if so you need to remove
the belt to see if it's in the antenna part or the motor. Is there a way to
grease or oil the rotating parts, I'd check with the manufacturer on this? I
admit that I don't know radar systems, but I'm familiar with stepper motors.
They're generally not used it this type of application, they're used as far
as I know to turn the motor shaft a certain amount of degrees, usually in
either direction and at variable speeds to position things. I'd suspect that
you have a regular DC motor designed or geared to a specific rpm.
Paul

"C. Sadler" wrote in message
m...
I've got a unit that is about 7 years old.
Recently, it started turning erratically, causing the display to
pop the Antenna not rotating message, and shutting off.

The antenna's turning, but slows about every 1 to 1.5 revolutions.

I've changed the belt, and had a good look at the unit. It appears
clean, and uncorroded.
I'd like to suspect the stepper motor, as that would be a pretty cheap
fix, but before I go there, I'd like to hear some opinions of what
else might
be causing the stepper to speed up and slow down like that.

TIA

Rich

The motor problem as described sounds like a simple motor failure.

I had the Raytheon factory repair my unit last year and the charge to
replace the motor was about $175 including return shipping.

Rich

"Paul Schilter" paulschilter@comcast,dot,net wrote:

C. Sadler,
Did you spin the antenna by hand? Did you feel any binding or high
spots? If so you could have a bearing that's going, if so you need to remove
the belt to see if it's in the antenna part or the motor. Is there a way to
grease or oil the rotating parts, I'd check with the manufacturer on this? I
admit that I don't know radar systems, but I'm familiar with stepper motors.
They're generally not used it this type of application, they're used as far
as I know to turn the motor shaft a certain amount of degrees, usually in
either direction and at variable speeds to position things. I'd suspect that
you have a regular DC motor designed or geared to a specific rpm.
Paul

om...