Dennis Pogson

Lars E. wrote:
På Sat, 30 Apr 2005 08:39:37 GMT, skrev Dennis Pogson
:

Lars E. wrote:
Hello,

I am considering buying i.e the Raymarine RC435 GPS Chartplotter.
The problem is that there are no detailed maps in my area.
I have access to a very good layered map on a vector format.
Does anyone know if it is somehow possible to use my
own maps with the RC435?
Is there any other product that I might use?

I am willing to do some software programming myself.
If someone could help me with information on the format
that the RC435 needs that would be great.

Best Regards,
Lars E.

Its unlikely that any dedicated chart plotter will use maps or charts
that
you can buy off-the-shelf, since the charts are where the profit
lies in this game.

Thanks for your reply Dennis,
One would believe that the feature of loading your own maps
into a chart plotter could be a major selling point. But, if
no vendor makes the first move I guess the market is stuck.

Either use Yeoman with paper charts from any chandler, or use a
laptop with Oziexplorer or one of the vector applications.

Which vector applications are you referring to?

Well, 2 well-known ones are Transas Marine and Garmin Mapsource Bluecharts,
both expensive.

Ozi will display an infinite number of graphics file formats, import
them from many other nav. programmes, and allow you do carry out
your own updates. What more can you wish for?

Dennis.

Not much, really.
The only problem is that my friends with Raymarines are stuck...

Thanks!
Best Regards,
Lars E.

Lars,
Have a look at the following web page, it lists most of the suppliers of
vector chart (ENC) readers and associated GPS-link programs.
http://nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/mcd/enc/resource.htm

This does not mean you can use the free ENC's from NOAA with your Raymarine
RC435, and in any case they are mostly for US coastlines, but it might start
you on a journey which could end with a partial or full solution to your
problem!

--
Digital Photo-charts fo all UK areas.
Remove 'nospam' to reply.