Steve Thomas

Default Raymarine Rotavecta Wind Transducer

Anyone know how to test one of these, or what the electrical
characteristics should be?

--
Steve Thomas

Aaron

Can't help with that, but I'd like to know if a wind transducer from an
ST60 instrument can subsitute for the rotovecta transducer that comes
with the ST40 wind instrument...

Thanks,

Aaron
s/v Sweet Destiny
www.navagear.com

Steve Thomas

The st60 can use either the Rotavecta transducer or a mast head unit with
seperate anemometer and wind vane transducers. All Rotavecta transducers are
the same. The st40 and st30 displays do not support the mast head units with
seperate transducers.

"Aaron" wrote in message
ups.com...
Can't help with that, but I'd like to know if a wind transducer from an
ST60 instrument can subsitute for the rotovecta transducer that comes
with the ST40 wind instrument...

Thanks,

Aaron
s/v Sweet Destiny
www.navagear.com

Theo Weber

Steve,
I only have details for an ST60 speed/direction transducer. If you
contact CMC in Mississauga, they should be able to help you out. Alan
Thomsen was the person I dealt with when I troubleshot my system and he
was quite knowledgeable. Cheers

Theo

Steve Thomas wrote:

Anyone know how to test one of these, or what the electrical
characteristics should be?

Hightech

Hi,

The Rotavecta sends a series of pulses out, which essentially give you wind
speed. If you then measure the mark space ratio of each pulse, the ratio
will be seen to change, as the unbalanced bit comes away from the wind the
rotational speed will increase and then decrease as the tab goes back toward
the wind. From this it is then possible to determine speed and direction.
If my memory is correct there are two streams of pulses at 90 degrees out of
phase and direction from an absolute can be derived.

Hightech

Steve Thomas wrote:

Anyone know how to test one of these, or what the electrical
characteristics should be?

Steve Thomas

Thanks for all of the replys.
I did obtain a schematic.
The device depends on a nominal 10 ma current source, with an open circuit
voltage max of 8 volts.
I measure the OC voltage of the ST30 wind instrument at less than 7, with 12
volts on the power supply, but it appears to work now that it is off the
boat.
I had expected magnets and coils, but the Rotavecta is LEDs and photo
transistors and does not generate an emf on its own.
A simple Ohm meter check for continuity fails due to the voltage drop in the
semiconductor junctions.
A suitable test set up might be a 6 volt battery and 600 to 1k resistor,
with a scope or whatever is available to monitor the voltage drop across the
transducer.
The red wire gets the positive voltage.

Steve

VDO wind sensor Pyry Electronics 0 August 15th 04 06:28 PM
FS: NEW Raymarine depth sounder / fishfinder for sale with no reserve on eBay in Maryland Peter Kennedy Marketplace 0 March 13th 04 02:27 PM
Raymarine ST40 wind calibration RoyB Electronics 2 December 15th 03 12:46 PM
Nasty, Nasty, Crazy Day Sailing Today Bart Senior ASA 50 November 17th 03 06:40 AM
Raymarine vs. Navman Spd., Dpth, Wind Package drewr3737atnowhere Electronics 3 September 16th 03 02:23 AM