Steve Thomas

Thanks for all of the replys.
I did obtain a schematic.
The device depends on a nominal 10 ma current source, with an open circuit
voltage max of 8 volts.
I measure the OC voltage of the ST30 wind instrument at less than 7, with 12
volts on the power supply, but it appears to work now that it is off the
boat.
I had expected magnets and coils, but the Rotavecta is LEDs and photo
transistors and does not generate an emf on its own.
A simple Ohm meter check for continuity fails due to the voltage drop in the
semiconductor junctions.
A suitable test set up might be a 6 volt battery and 600 to 1k resistor,
with a scope or whatever is available to monitor the voltage drop across the
transducer.
The red wire gets the positive voltage.

Steve

"Hightech" wrote in message
Hi,

The Rotavecta sends a series of pulses out, which essentially give you

wind
speed. If you then measure the mark space ratio of each pulse, the ratio
will be seen to change, as the unbalanced bit comes away from the wind the
rotational speed will increase and then decrease as the tab goes back

toward
the wind. From this it is then possible to determine speed and direction.
If my memory is correct there are two streams of pulses at 90 degrees out

of
phase and direction from an absolute can be derived.

Hightech
"Theo Weber" wrote in message
Steve,
I only have details for an ST60 speed/direction transducer. If you
contact CMC in Mississauga, they should be able to help you out. Alan
Thomsen was the person I dealt with when I troubleshot my system and he
was quite knowledgeable. Cheers

Theo

Steve Thomas wrote:

Anyone know how to test one of these, or what the electrical
characteristics should be?