Glenn Ashmore

Default windlass rode counter

Anyone ever attempt to build one of these?
http://www.dv-fansler.com/Projects/9.../900gd-dro.htm

I downloaded and compiled the code but would like to know if it is reliable
before I go to the trouble to design and make the boards. Considering all
the parts can be had for under $50 and an AutoAnchor cost over $500 it looks
pretty attractive.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Glenn Ashmore

"Doug Dotson" dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote in message
Even if the code does not work well, fixing it so it does can't be all

that
difficult. Making sure the hardware is able to tell the truth is a bigger
challenge.

Software seems pretty solid. I have run it on a simulator board changing
the sensor pulse width and screwing around with the various inputs. Kinda
hard to to emulate the surges and spikes you get on a boat power system
though.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Steve

I cannot imagine why the spikes should cause a problem unless the
voltage outside the range that the regulator can manage. I have built
loads of stuff for the boat using microcontollers and not seen any real
problems. Bigger capacitors and a choke are always a good idea.

I am not sure why there are two micro controller based components
though. Why not just use one and get it to do everything? The MAX232
could still be used to send the pulse signals to prevent noise issues
and the up/down voltages I assume are 12V anyway and should be pretty
solid is configured as a current loop type signal. I am not saying that
two uPs is a bad idea but I just don't see what it buys you. I guess you
could have multiple display units but this does not seem to be
mentioned. However, only one could send commands as RS232 is not a bus.
Another thought would be to transmit the deployed length as a NMEA
string which could be displayed on a repeater (even one used for
something else like speed or depth)

Only other comment is that I have seen (somewhere) magnetic sensors
available that claim to be able to detect the teeth on a cog moving
past. If these could be tracked down it would be a simpler mod to the
windlass.

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

"Doug Dotson" dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote in message

Even if the code does not work well, fixing it so it does can't be all

that

difficult. Making sure the hardware is able to tell the truth is a bigger
challenge.

Software seems pretty solid. I have run it on a simulator board changing
the sensor pulse width and screwing around with the various inputs. Kinda
hard to to emulate the surges and spikes you get on a boat power system
though.

Glenn Ashmore

I can see how it could all be done with a single mcu but the code is free
and I have some extra 873s in the junk box so I am not going to reinvent it.
I do like the idea of putting out a NMEA statement though. Wonder if there
is a standard prefix for rode length?

He used a Hall effect sensor but I have several Omron industrial strength
proximity sensors left over from the engine driven watermaker project. I
used one to detect the bolt heads on the PTO to limit operation to safe
engine speeds. They put out a nice clean square edged pulse. The windlass
is a Lofrans vertical so I figure I could just bolt a little chunk of steel
to the bottom of the shaft and mount a sensor to the bottom of the gearbox.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

engsol

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 20:51:36 -0500, "Glenn Ashmore" wrote:

Anyone ever attempt to build one of these?
http://www.dv-fansler.com/Projects/9.../900gd-dro.htm

I downloaded and compiled the code but would like to know if it is reliable
before I go to the trouble to design and make the boards. Considering all
the parts can be had for under $50 and an AutoAnchor cost over $500 it looks
pretty attractive.

I've used the proximity devices in several projects, and they work
well. They are available from the usual suspects, Allied, Newark, etc.

I visited the web site...the source code is a dot src file, which I refuse
to open...any one have it in a dot txt format? I've looked at a ton of
de-bounce routines, and have invented a pretty fool-proof one. I'm
always curious how others do it.

Norm B
Jack Erbes

engsol wrote:

snip
I visited the web site...the source code is a dot src file, which I refuse
to open...any one have it in a dot txt format? snip

What is the threat? A virus? Are you running a system without any
antivirus protection?

You should be able to download and check the file for viruses without
opening it if you are running a virus checker.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)
Kees Verruijt

engsol wrote:
I visited the web site...the source code is a dot src file, which I refuse
to open...any one have it in a dot txt format?

type file.src in a DOS box is pretty safe ;-)

Or, use a proper OS or get cygwin and type

od -c filename

-- Kees
Doug Dotson

"Doug Dotson" dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote in message
Even if the code does not work well, fixing it so it does can't be all

that
difficult. Making sure the hardware is able to tell the truth is a bigger
challenge.

Software seems pretty solid. I have run it on a simulator board changing
the sensor pulse width and screwing around with the various inputs. Kinda
hard to to emulate the surges and spikes you get on a boat power system
though.

I would hope that it has a regulated and filtered power supply. If it
doesn;t then
you can add some surge protection yourself to clean up the nasties.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Doug Dotson

I can see how it could all be done with a single mcu but the code is free
and I have some extra 873s in the junk box so I am not going to reinvent
it.
I do like the idea of putting out a NMEA statement though. Wonder if
there
is a standard prefix for rode length?

I have the NMEA specs here and I don't see any sentence type for rode
length.

He used a Hall effect sensor but I have several Omron industrial strength
proximity sensors left over from the engine driven watermaker project. I
used one to detect the bolt heads on the PTO to limit operation to safe
engine speeds. They put out a nice clean square edged pulse. The
windlass
is a Lofrans vertical so I figure I could just bolt a little chunk of
steel
to the bottom of the shaft and mount a sensor to the bottom of the
gearbox.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Windlass on an Alura 35 Clarence Bell General 0 January 7th 05 12:15 AM
Windlass advice Gary General 6 August 21st 04 03:47 PM
Windlass Electrical Connection Ray Cullum General 0 July 27th 04 04:51 PM
SL Windlass Problem Jeff Morris Cruising 8 June 15th 04 04:29 PM
GRETTIR'S SAGA (continued) Nik ASA 0 September 19th 03 10:12 PM