John Proctor

Default Non-mechanical Wind Transducers

I thought I'd ask the group for any experiences with non-mechanical (no
bearings, roating cups etc) wind transducers. The technology seems
reasonably well established (ultrasonic, heated wire etc) in commercial
and military applications and there are a couple of ones with NMEA
output as well as one with Seatalk as an output option. Has anyone had
any experience good, bad or indifferent with them and are there any
reliability issues with them?

--
Regards,
John Proctor VK3JP, VKV6789

Gerard van Toornenberg.

Where to see the Seatalk one option?

Gerard

"John Proctor" schreef in bericht
I thought I'd ask the group for any experiences with non-mechanical (no
bearings, roating cups etc) wind transducers. The technology seems
reasonably well established (ultrasonic, heated wire etc) in commercial and
military applications and there are a couple of ones with NMEA output as
well as one with Seatalk as an output option. Has anyone had any experience
good, bad or indifferent with them and are there any reliability issues
with them?

--
Regards,
John Proctor VK3JP, VKV6789
S/V Chagall

John Proctor

On 2005-01-07 07:43:12 +1100, "Gerard van Toornenberg."
said:

Where to see the Seatalk one option?

Gerard

"John Proctor" schreef in bericht
I thought I'd ask the group for any experiences with non-mechanical (no
bearings, roating cups etc) wind transducers. The technology seems
reasonably well established (ultrasonic, heated wire etc) in commercial
and military applications and there are a couple of ones with NMEA
output as well as one with Seatalk as an output option. Has anyone had
any experience good, bad or indifferent with them and are there any
reliability issues with them?

--
Regards,
John Proctor VK3JP, VKV6789
S/V Chagall

I don't know that Raymarine makes one. But Ocean Radio has one that
purports to have a ST option. Look at this URL:

http://www.radio-ocean.com/pdf/rowind/nc_ROWind_a.PDF

--
Regards,
John Proctor VK3JP, VKV6789

TomS

On 2005-01-07 07:43:12 +1100, "Gerard van Toornenberg."
said:

[...]

I have no real experience with them, but here are some thoughts about them
(in sailboat use).
-The technique seems to be where we are heading in the future. No movig or
wearing parts.
-On ships and in weather stations etc. this technique has been used for some
time.
-The ROWind would be very hard to calibrate when connected to most
instrument systems. One would have to go up in the mast and rotate the
transducer to get the thing calibrated.
-Most advanced (I don's know any that wouldn't) instrumet systems needs
propriatery wind transducers in order to be able to calibarte them from the
display. Also I do not know what
would happend to the true wind, one would probaly not get that.

Regards,
TomS

Doug Dotson

Raytheon offered one when I ordered my last set of instruments about
5 years ago. That was when I worked for Raytheon before they
became Raymarine though.

Doug
s/v Callista

Gerard van Toornenberg.

I know only the standard one in top of your mast or the rotavectra more or
less used by motor boaters.

Gerard

"Doug Dotson" dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom schreef in bericht

On 2005-01-07 07:43:12 +1100, "Gerard van Toornenberg."
said:

[...]

36 foot waves forecasted for Florida western panhandle Wayne.B General 39 September 21st 04 06:07 PM
VDO wind sensor Pyry Electronics 0 August 15th 04 06:28 PM
The future of yacht design - 10 myths scotched Frank ASA 0 June 28th 04 02:42 PM
Nasty, Nasty, Crazy Day Sailing Today Bart Senior ASA 50 November 17th 03 06:40 AM
Wind or magnetism? Paul General 3 August 14th 03 03:31 PM