Steve

Default Standard Horizon Spectrum+ VHF problems!

I don't mean to 'bad mouth' a product or manufacturer on the bases of my
single bad experience.

However this is intended to be a 'heads up' if you have a Spectrum+ VHF.

I purchased this, features loaded, unit in Jan. '04 and discovered that
it was going dead within 30 min of power on. This only seemed to effect
the transmit and recieve, while the hailer/fog horn functions still seem
to work.

The only way I can determine if it is working or not, is to switch to
the weather channels and see if I can recieve any of these. If I don't
hear any transmition there, I can be certian that the unit won't work on
the working channels. At first I thought it was tempurature related
since the cabin temp was up over 80 most of the time that I notice it's
failure. However, it now goes dead even on a cool morning or evening.

Since I had purchased it from West Marine, I went to them to see about
an exchange, since I was in the middle of a local cruise. They were very
helpful and willing to exchange it but discovered that the Sepectrum+
had been discontinued and none of the stores had any left in stock. The
next closest available model was about $150 more, which I wasn't willing
to pay.

I contacted the manufactures repair facility and they indicated that
they would repair the old (new) unit if I would return it to them.

I retained the unit for limited useage (draw bridge) on my return trip
and will now ship it back to them..

My experience and warning, FWIW.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions
Gordon Wedman

Since I had purchased it from West Marine, I went to them to see about
an exchange, since I was in the middle of a local cruise. They were very
helpful and willing to exchange it but discovered that the Sepectrum+
had been discontinued and none of the stores had any left in stock. The
next closest available model was about $150 more, which I wasn't willing
to pay.

Not those "West morons" ?

This story sort of applies to the above........

A few years ago I bought a $300 Plustek scanner from Future shop. The guy
talked me into buying the extended 3 year warranty. 2 1/2 years later it
quit working and I took it back. They said they would give me a scanner
with the same features as my original but now this only cost $200. I asked
if I could pick a better scanner and pay for the difference. Sure they
said, no problem. I picked a nice $300 HP scanner that was way better than
my original one and took it to the returns department. After all the
paperwork they ended up giving it to me for free! So although the original
model was no longer available I got an upgraded replacement for free. I
bought the 3 year warranty again...........Too bad Future shop doesn't sell
marine VHFs.

"Steve" wrote in message
news
[...]

Chuck Tribolet

When it's failing, do you get white noise if you turn the squelch down?

Have you tried a different Antenna?

And West's web page says the Spectrum+ is in stock. My experience
with them is that their "in stock" indication is reasonably accurate.

--
Chuck Tribolet

http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/people/triblet

Silicon Valley: STILL the best day job in the world.

"Steve" wrote in message news
[...]

Steve

Chuck Tribolet wrote:
When it's failing, do you get white noise if you turn the squelch down?

I get a little static just as it is failing, then nothing even when I
play with the squelch.

Have you tried a different Antenna?

I tried my emergency and antenna but got nothing.

And West's web page says the Spectrum+ is in stock. My experience
with them is that their "in stock" indication is reasonably accurate.

I had a direct email from a Marine Electronics dealer who tells me that
the Spectrum+ was discontinued 5 month before West Marine offered it, on
sale, with a MFG $40 rebate.

The local store only checked availability at area stores.

Thanks.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions
Bobsprit

Since I had purchased it from West Marine, I went to them to see about
an exchange, since I was in the middle of a local cruise. They were very
helpful and willing to exchange it but discovered that the Sepectrum+
had been discontinued and none of the stores had any left in stock.

Why didn't you just get a different radio, which would be the safest option?
West Marine has replaced electronics after nearly a year for me. They actually
took back a GPS after 3 months because a new model came out that I prefered.
When a handheld died on me, they replaced it with a better model for the same
price and sent me a gift card! I get ****ed at them for having limited stock,
but they have always been on the ball otherwise.

RB

Steve

Bobsprit wrote:
Since I had purchased it from West Marine, I went to them to see about
an exchange, since I was in the middle of a local cruise. They were very
helpful and willing to exchange it but discovered that the Sepectrum+
had been discontinued and none of the stores had any left in stock.

Why didn't you just get a different radio, which would be the safest option?
West Marine has replaced electronics after nearly a year for me. They actually
took back a GPS after 3 months because a new model came out that I prefered.
When a handheld died on me, they replaced it with a better model for the same
price and sent me a gift card! I get ****ed at them for having limited stock,
but they have always been on the ball otherwise.

RB

The short answer: The only model available, with the features I wanted,
was ~$150 more. The wanted me to pay the difference.

When I declined to suggested that a return to Standard Horizon, might
get me the upgrade if they couldn't repair mine.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions
Steve

Steve wrote:
[...]

Just a final note: Standard Horizon/West Marine returned my Spectrum +
this week and everything seems to be fine (for now). Being an "on-time"
intermitant problem, I will motintor it's operation, at the dock for a
while and save all my paperwork.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Looking for a Standard Horizon VHF Radio Mike Electronics 7 March 12th 11 05:36 AM
WTB: Standard Horizon VHF Radio in Michigan Mike Marketplace 1 February 18th 05 02:45 PM
Standard Horizon GPS Simple Simon ASA 14 December 30th 03 12:52 AM
DSC connection w/ ICOM 502 VHF and Standard Horizon CP150 Mark Clayton Electronics 1 September 7th 03 03:23 PM
Garmin 182C vs. Standard Horizon CP150C, screen clarity ONE Electronics 1 July 28th 03 07:43 PM