C. Sadler

Default C-Map chart not showing detail after switching Raymarine displays-final

yup, plotter mode was it!
Patrick

Default C-Map chart not showing detail after switching Raymarine displays

Is the Smart Heading Sensor used for any steering functions by a Raytheon
autopilot?
The autopilots all use the fluxgate compass for heading input, so I'm
curious what function
the Smart Heading Sensor serves. Is it just backup?
Patrick

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
If you call Raymarine and talk nice to them, they'll send you an EPROM
upgrade C-Map plug you simply plug into your RL display and turn the
unit on. The unit will suck the program off the plug and upgrade
itself to the latest firmware upgrade with all the stuff they "forgot"
and will have support for new stuff like the Smart Heading Sensor ours
wouldn't read before the upgrade.

They'll charge your credit card if you don't send back the plug to
them so someone else can use it.......Be forewarned.

On 8 Mar 2004 11:17:07 -0800, (James McQuade)
wrote:

Your message did not indicate the NT+ code number that you are using.
Some Raymarine products may not reconize a C-card with a .00 version.
Versions .01 and above corrected this problem.

Also some Raymarine units will only reconize an NT+ C-card in the top
slot of the unit. Raymarine introduced new software to correct this
issue. I suspect that your symptom may be related to one of these
issues, as you have confirmed that your NT+ C-card operates correctly
in another unit.

J. McQuade
C-MAP/USA

Larry W4CSC
POWER is our friend!

Doug

It is used mainly for MARPA display and overlay functions. Although they
call it a rate gyro, it is really an accelerometer. It does seem to improve
autopilot seatrial setup in the "self learn" mode. It supposedly reduces the
amount of S turns the autopilot makes. There are some errors in the manual
when using Seatalk cables. Call Raymarine tech support to the straight info
if you are having weird problems. In some equipment configurations you must
break the SeaTalk yellow wire and use Seatalk for power only. Other
configurations require Seatalk Yellow and the Red must be split off for
external power.
Regarding the 10 degree from vertical, I was told a couple years ago that
this meant the sensor had to be mounted athwartships, such as a vertical
bulkhead. After seeing them on the hull of sailing vessels and the owners
reporting no problems, I suspect the 10 degree from vertical is not that
critical. Bayliner/Meridian mounts them athwartships at the factory.
Catalina sailboats uses an independent shop for "factory" installation and
those are mounted on the hull behind the circuit breaker panel and seem to
work OK.
Doug K7ABX

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
"Patrick" wrote in news:ZOWdnW-
:

Is the Smart Heading Sensor used for any steering functions by a

Raytheon
autopilot?
The autopilots all use the fluxgate compass for heading input, so I'm
curious what function
the Smart Heading Sensor serves. Is it just backup?
Patrick

Not that I can sense. I wish my captain hadn't bought it, personally. I
think it's a waste of money.

Look in the manual and see it wants to be within 10 degrees of upright for
the gyro sensor to work. What? Hell, our boat is hardly EVER within 10
degrees of upright on Lionheart! Who the hell can sail like that? Flat
seas? No wind? How crazy.

So, having fought to get the damned fluxgate in a place it WILL calibrate,
which wasn't easy, I'd recommend the straight Raymarine compass sensor,
which was easy to calibrate and use, not this new gadget anyone can show

me
makes any difference in the waves steering the boat.

Frankly, the B&G compass sensor with our B&G Network Pilot blows the doors
off any of the Raymarine compass sensors we've ever had. We turned it

once
to calibrate it and it's been within 1 degree since. Who needs more?

Larry
S/V Lionheart
way too much electronics to operate all at once...(c;

Larry W4CSC

"Doug" wrote in
hlink.net:

[...]

I can't see any difference whether it's running into the NMEA network or
not because the B&G Network Pilot is so smooth to begin with. I don't
think I ever saw it make an S turn oversteering, even in 8' seas. The
Autohelm 4000 on the Endeavour 35 sloop used to "lose control" in much less
seas, but that might be a factor of the Amel Sharki's big rudder as much as
the Autohelm's ability to keep up.

Larry