Larry W4CSC

Default C-Map chart not showing detail after switching Raymarine displays

"Doug" wrote in
hlink.net:

It is used mainly for MARPA display and overlay functions. Although
they call it a rate gyro, it is really an accelerometer. It does seem
to improve autopilot seatrial setup in the "self learn" mode. It
supposedly reduces the amount of S turns the autopilot makes. There
are some errors in the manual when using Seatalk cables. Call
Raymarine tech support to the straight info if you are having weird
problems. In some equipment configurations you must break the SeaTalk
yellow wire and use Seatalk for power only. Other configurations
require Seatalk Yellow and the Red must be split off for external
power. Regarding the 10 degree from vertical, I was told a couple
years ago that this meant the sensor had to be mounted athwartships,
such as a vertical bulkhead. After seeing them on the hull of sailing
vessels and the owners reporting no problems, I suspect the 10 degree
from vertical is not that critical. Bayliner/Meridian mounts them
athwartships at the factory. Catalina sailboats uses an independent
shop for "factory" installation and those are mounted on the hull
behind the circuit breaker panel and seem to work OK.
Doug K7ABX

I can't see any difference whether it's running into the NMEA network or
not because the B&G Network Pilot is so smooth to begin with. I don't
think I ever saw it make an S turn oversteering, even in 8' seas. The
Autohelm 4000 on the Endeavour 35 sloop used to "lose control" in much less
seas, but that might be a factor of the Amel Sharki's big rudder as much as
the Autohelm's ability to keep up.

Larry