Rob

Default RADAR CHOICE - JRC 1000/1500, Furuno 1623, Raymarine SL72

Hi,

I'm looking for a small radar for my replica 22m dutch barge. It will
be mainly used on inland waterways in Europe and coastal waters -
Baltic, Agean, Med etc plus Channel crossings. Narrowed choice of
small radars down to the above listed - would appreciate comments and
experience.

TVMIA
William G. Andersen

I added radar last year, narrowed it down to the same three choices: all
pretty much the same in features and price. I went with Furuno because
that's the most popular with fishermen in this area.
I'm very pleased with it. I added the NMEA cable and connect my handheld
Garmin GPS to it for a display of waypoint information on the radar screen:
very helpful when there's more than one person in the boat.

"Rob" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I'm looking for a small radar for my replica 22m dutch barge. It will
be mainly used on inland waterways in Europe and coastal waters -
Baltic, Agean, Med etc plus Channel crossings. Narrowed choice of
small radars down to the above listed - would appreciate comments and
experience.

TVMIA

jeannette

The JRC MK I is deiscontinued but the JRC MK II is very much alive.

http://www.jrcamerica.com/product.as...11&l1=5311&l2=

I picked-up a MK I on ebay some time ago and I am very happy with it.
Used it many times in and out of San Francisco Bay.

JRC 1000 is discontinued. The Furuno 1623 is better in a number of
ways. For openers, the Furuno display is MUCH easier to see.

BB

Jeannette Bristol 32, San Francisco
http://www.eblw.com/contepartiro/contepartiro.html

Keith

JRC or Furuno. Stay away from Raymarine. They're getting cheap since going
private.

--

Keith
__
"Rob" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I'm looking for a small radar for my replica 22m dutch barge. It will
be mainly used on inland waterways in Europe and coastal waters -
Baltic, Agean, Med etc plus Channel crossings. Narrowed choice of
small radars down to the above listed - would appreciate comments and
experience.

TVMIA

SASIINC

I have a raymarine SL72RC and love it. I only wished I had gone color.
Frank
Superior 1
Doug

I work for a dealer for all three brands. Each has its good features and its
bad features. JRC made the radars for Raytheon marketed in the USA until
Raymarine evolved and went with radars built in the UK.
The display was improved for the JRC 1000 MKII.
One common problem that I have not seen Raymarine fix is the drive motor has
a pulley pressed onto the motor shaft, no key or set screw (they use a belt
drive). These loosen and then you get a "walking" display on the display.
Took me a while to troubleshoot this the first time and I called Raymarine
tech support to inform them. It was old news to them, but no service
bulletin has ever been issued. The replacement motors come with the pulley
attached.
Both the Furuno and JRC use geared drives and some owners complain of noise
in the cabin, especially when mounted on a thin roof right over the helm. On
some models I could loosen the motor mount screws and move the motor a tiny
amount (bolts go through rubber grommets) and retighten the screws to quiet
the gear noise. Lately I have been adding a very small amount of white
lithium grease to the gears. This seems to be the way to go.
Doug K7ABX

"Rob" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I'm looking for a small radar for my replica 22m dutch barge. It will
be mainly used on inland waterways in Europe and coastal waters -
Baltic, Agean, Med etc plus Channel crossings. Narrowed choice of
small radars down to the above listed - would appreciate comments and
experience.

TVMIA

Dave

I have a web site which provides reports from users
http://fishing_boats.tripod.com/
This has only one report so far on radars the JRC1500

Have a look to see what the user says

Dave

"Rob" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I'm looking for a small radar for my replica 22m dutch barge. It will
be mainly used on inland waterways in Europe and coastal waters -
Baltic, Agean, Med etc plus Channel crossings. Narrowed choice of
small radars down to the above listed - would appreciate comments and
experience.

TVMIA

Richard Lane

I have had a JRC 1500 in the PNW for 3 yrs and the only problem I have
had is persistent fogging of the LCD display, returned unit within
warranty and replacement fogged.
Dick

"Rob" wrote in message
om...

Hi,

I'm looking for a small radar for my replica 22m dutch barge. It will
be mainly used on inland waterways in Europe and coastal waters -
Baltic, Agean, Med etc plus Channel crossings. Narrowed choice of
small radars down to the above listed - would appreciate comments and
experience.

TVMIA

Furuno 1721 MKII Compass input?? (long) Steve Electronics 3 January 13th 04 02:50 AM
Furuno Radar Daniel Electronics 1 November 3rd 03 05:11 PM
Lowrance Global Map 1000 and Furuno 1621 radar Diver1055 Electronics 3 October 10th 03 08:02 PM
DAMMIT ICOM WHY SO CHEAP?!! Larry Electronics 23 September 14th 03 11:42 PM
JRC 1000/1500 MKII Radar? Electronics 1 August 13th 03 10:52 PM