DB

Default GPS Accuracy

Doug:

Try Mark S Anderson on that compass issue. His home number is 503.231.4842.
He used to be the guy at Captains Nautical. Man, I miss that place. It was
like a Chuck E. Cheese for big boys.

Dan

"Doug" wrote in message
link.net...
Bruce,
Do you have any Seattle wet compass rebuilders you can recommend? We don't
have anyone left here in Portland who can add fluid, etc., since Captains
Nautical went out of business a year ago thanks to stores like West

Marine.
Doug K7ABX
"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
Charleston needs one on the left coast. Thanks, Bruce.

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 19:38:37 GMT, Bruce in Alaska
wrote:

In article ,
(Larry W4CSC) wrote:

Wouldn't it be nice if there were some kind of exact crossing ranges
setup for just compass swinging in some out of the commercial

shipping
channel place. Two ranges pointing into an area unobstructed,
crossing in the middle. One N-S range and one E-W range with markers
on both ends so you could go either direction and KNOW you were 0 or
90 or 180 or 270.

Alot of Coastal Towns have such Ranges setup out here in the west.
In Seattle, all the compass rebuilders use the same range that is
setup in Lake Union. In the spring the whole Seattle Based fishing
fleet can be seen out there doing compass adjusting.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @

Larry W4CSC

Is it just me or did the US and UK just capture 1/3
of the world's sweetest oil supply? What idiot wants to
GIVE IT BACK?!!

Rob

"wg992000" wrote in message ...
Thanks for all the input -
It was the swinging the compass input I was after.

Thought process was that maybe with decent sat reception - swinging the
compass (adjustments and compass card) may be easier and more accurate with
the GPS then using traditional methods i.e.. lining up bearing points,
shadows etc with my 13 year old at the wheel and me trying to do this. Have
a 21 coastal boat with compass in 5 degree increments. Sounds like the best
idea is stick with traditional methods or farm it out. In any case thanks
for all the help and thoughts.

Just a thought - why not get a fluxgate compass??? They compensate
automatically, usually by steaming in a large circle slowly, for
boat/ship/vessel deviation and compass swinging is therefore not
required.
I would have though that by now we would be seeing more small gyro
compasses, which of course always indicate true North, removing both
deviation and variation.

Bruce in Alaska

In article .net,
"Doug" wrote:

Bruce,
Do you have any Seattle wet compass rebuilders you can recommend? We don't
have anyone left here in Portland who can add fluid, etc., since Captains
Nautical went out of business a year ago thanks to stores like West Marine.
Doug K7ABX

Doug,

Yea, there is a fellow that I used a lot in the past.
Eknes Instruments, in Ballard 826 NW 49th St 98107 (206) 783-3303
this fellow is a third generation Compass Adjuster/rebuilder.
Well respected in the North Pacific Fishing Fleet.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @