0_Qed

Default Source of hull line dwgs, accuracy for a half_hull

I'm trying to locate a source of hull contour, line drawings,
accurate enuf for a Wm. Garden CT-41 half hull model,
scale 1"-1" +\- ...

Does anyone know *if* ...

(1) . the Mystic Seaport "Collection" has one in it's Garden Collection
.... ??
.. thot I'd ask 'here' =1st=, bother them =2nd= ... if they have
'one'.

(2) . either of the the Garden books(below) have 'one' ... the CT-41
..
.. Yacht Design by William Garden
.. Hardcover / May 1977 / 0877420661
..
.. Yacht Designs II by William Garden
.. Hardcover / January 1999 / 1888671238

I'm not knowledgeable eunf to know if any of his other "Clipper" designs
have roughly the same hull proportions ... ( I suspect they mite )
they also would suffice if they do .

If I try to "wing it" ... or 'fake' it ...
"i'll" know.
;_(

My email rtn_addy is munged ... no more SWEN, please.

Thanks for your advisory,
Ed
Tim Mueller

http://www.mysticseaport.org/research/ro-shipsplans.htm

Also, Yahoo has a williamgardenyachtowners group.

And, http://www.wholeboat.net/gboats/gboat.html (there's a link to some
comments from Mystic Garden plans)

Lastly, you can now browse books on Amazon, so perhaps looking at the table
of contents or list of figures in his books will help, although any lines
in a book a likely to not have enough detail for a 1:12 model. Consider the
size of the printed page vs. a 41" model (if I'm reading your desired scale
correctly). If it's a traditional set of lines where the body, waterlines
and sections are superimposed, it will be a real muddle by the time it's
enlarged to model scale. (I'm assuming you intend to glue up lifts cut to
the shape of the waterlines, traced from a print that's the same scale as
the model. Kinko's large format copiers have been very useful to me in
re-sizing lines to the scale of the intended model.)

"0_Qed" wrote in message
I'm trying to locate a source of hull contour, line drawings,
accurate enuf for a Wm. Garden CT-41 half hull model,
scale 1"-1" +\- ...

Does anyone know *if* ...

(1) . the Mystic Seaport "Collection" has one in it's Garden Collection
... ??

.
. Yacht Design by William Garden
. Hardcover / May 1977 / 0877420661
.
. Yacht Designs II by William Garden
. Hardcover / January 1999 / 1888671238

I'm not knowledgeable eunf to know if any of his other "Clipper" designs
have roughly the same hull proportions ... ( I suspect they mite )
they also would suffice if they do .

If I try to "wing it" ... or 'fake' it ...
"i'll" know.
;_(

My email rtn_addy is munged ... no more SWEN, please.

Thanks for your advisory,
Ed

0_Qed

Tim Mueller wrote:
....snip...

Many thanks for the reply ...

I managed to muddle, `round & `round ...
thru Garden's books ( inter liby loan )
& on to Mystic Seaport's print archive ...
which yielded most of what I need .

Had a 'reality' check ...
went from a 1:12 scale reduction to 1:24 ...
:-)

Also stumbled onto Garden's Vagabond hull ... very similar ...

"Lifts" ...
Yes, using appropriatly sized( & scaled ) thickness 'lifts' ...
laminated .

Cobbled up a pantograph for scaled , thin_lined 'copies' ...
beats Kinko's digital bit_map copier all hollow ...

Ed
Dave W

A suggestion......making a half model by the lift method is not a good way
to make an accurate model with good looks. First of all, the finished hull
will have the dead horizontal lift joint lines. Secondly, stacking 5, 6 or
seven lifts together and ending up with anything close to the proper overall
height is NOT possible. I find it much easier more pleasant to make a solid
block (with contrasting wood for waterline and boot top), cut out station
sections in sheet metal and carve an accurate model. Details if interested.
Dave