m Ransley

Default marine stereos

Are marine CD stereos, car stereos encased in water resistant cases or
are they really improved. Are the boards potted or sealed. Im sure
controls would have water resistance. I would be refering to
inexpensive CD players labeled Marine .
Are marine stereo speakers just high quality car speakers. As those
with rubber surrounds and plastic cones and dust caps. If not what
would be the differences. Thanks

SAIL LOCO

For a boat just buy an inexpensive model from a quality manufacture like Sony.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport
Doug

Some marine speakers include shielding so that they can be placed closer to
a compass (I am NOT suggesting right next to a compass). Unshielded speakers
are a frequent cause of "my autopilot doesn't work on some headings"
problem.
Doug K7ABX
"m Ransley" wrote in message
..
Are marine stereo speakers just high quality car speakers. As those
with rubber surrounds and plastic cones and dust caps. If not what
would be the differences. Thanks

Maynard G. Krebbs

"m Ransley" wrote in message
.
Are marine stereo speakers just high quality car speakers. As those
with rubber surrounds and plastic cones and dust caps. If not what
would be the differences. Thanks

I know you can shield RF and other electronic interferance but how can
you shield magnetic interferiance?
Mark E. Williams
boatalec

"m Ransley" wrote in message
.
Are marine stereo speakers just high quality car speakers. As those
with rubber surrounds and plastic cones and dust caps. If not what
would be the differences. Thanks

I know you can shield RF and other electronic interferance but how can
you shield magnetic interferiance?
Mark E. Williams

Most marine speakers are manufactured with rigid plastic baskets (the
part that the cone and magnet are glued to) and shields that keep salt
water out of the voice coil assembly (because most magnets have a high
component of ferrous, or iron that rusts).

If you buy a regular pair of high end car speakers, they will sound
great for a season, then rust out.

Alec

Doug

I am not sure how they do it, possibly aluminum or some exotic metal.
Remember when speakers first came out for PCs and if you placed them close
to a monitor, the CRT was distorted? Then specialty "shielded" PC speakers
came out that can be placed on either side of the CRT. I have eliminated
sailboat tiller pilot problems by replacing high quality stereo speakers
mounted in the transom with marine grade ones.
Doug K7ABX
On 15 Dec 2003 11:14:07 -0800, (boatalec) wrote:

. ..
wrote:

I know you can shield RF and other electronic interferance but how can
you shield magnetic interferiance?
Mark E. Williams

Most marine speakers are manufactured with rigid plastic baskets (the
part that the cone and magnet are glued to) and shields that keep salt
water out of the voice coil assembly (because most magnets have a high
component of ferrous, or iron that rusts).

If you buy a regular pair of high end car speakers, they will sound
great for a season, then rust out.

Alec

Thanks
Mark E. Williams

Just a few names... John Smith General 0 May 2nd 04 11:32 PM
Marine stereos m Ransley Cruising 10 December 9th 03 11:43 PM
Marine stereos m Ransley General 14 December 9th 03 02:56 PM
marine stereos m Ransley Boat Building 4 December 8th 03 11:55 PM