Steve

Default Furuno GP32 ??

I'm considering a Furuno GP-32 fixed mount GPS for my nav station.. I don't
need a plotter since i use the laptop.. Handhelds have fallen short of my
needs at the nav station because of the deck hardware above.

I figure if I'm going to install an antenna, I might as well go with fixed
mount and retain my handhelds for a back up system..

I have compared features on a number of models (fixed mount, just GPS, no
potter) and come up with the Furuno GP32.

It has external antenna, NMEA and RS232 ports and the ability to upload and
download routes and way points.. (comprehensive configuration menu/options)

Another feature I have found with the Furuno line of equipment, is the
prices of options, spare or replacement items. ($75 for antenna, $5 for pair
of knobs, extra mount, cable assemblies, etc. are all very reasonable and
available.)

I'm looking for any experience or feed back on this model..

Thanks,

Steve

Wayne.B

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 10:24:29 -0800, "Steve" wrote:
[...]

Can't speak directly to the GP-32 but I have a GP-35 which has been an
excellent unit. My only caution would be on uploading/downloading
waypoints. If that function is important to you, make sure you have
software available before you purchase. It's been my experience that
much of the commonly available software for upload/download does not
support the Furuno GPS units.

Steve

"Wayne.B" wrote in message

.... excellent unit. My only caution would be on uploading/downloading
waypoints. If that function is important to you, make sure you have
software available before you purchase. It's been my experience that
much of the commonly available software for upload/download does not
support the Furuno GPS units.

Good point and since uploading of waypoints is one of the features I wanted
to use..

I use The Cap'n 6.3 for my routine charting and have never had occasion to
export any waypoints since my GPSs have been handheld or dumb GPSs (unable
to recieve uploads)..

Since Nautical Technologies won't support the pre 7.x (Mosaic) version I'm
preparing to cross over to something with better user support. I'm thinking
MaxSea 7.3.. I don't know much about the hardware interface abilities of
MaxSea but I hear it can read several chart formats (CMap93, BSB/KAP and
HDR)..

I expect to have the new Furuno GP32 up and running in a couple days so it
won't be long before I 'may' say goodby to the Cap'n and his snootie tech
support crew. (Its too bad I paid for all the upgrades back to 4.3 and only
started using it on my boat this year.. only a couple hundred miles on that
sucker).

Please (anyone) tell me what kinda problems I will encounter with verious
softwares when it comes to EXPORTing waypoints and routes to the Furuno.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Michael Holz

Hi!
.... excellent unit. My only caution would be on uploading/downloading
waypoints. If that function is important to you, make sure you have
software available before you purchase. It's been my experience that
much of the commonly available software for upload/download does not
support the Furuno GPS units.

Iīm not really sure, but.....normally - good - GPS units accepts simple nmea
data.
So....every software which sends nmea should work.
And any - professional software which do not send nmea is - bull**** - !!

I use Maxsea and Maptechīs Offshore nanigator. Both works fine with my old
Furuno 31!!

cu Michael

sorry if my english isnīt so good ;-(

Ger

Furuno is *not* standard NMEA. It has its own protocol for uploading
waypoints to it, kind of similar to NMEA, but not compatible. Software that
has not implemented the Furuno protocol will not work, no matter if it
supports NMEA or not.
Besides: the Furuno's always clear their waypoint memory when uploading new
waypoints and routes, so you will lose your old waypoints unless you upload
them again together with the new ones.
The 31 and 32 are very good and reliable machines, but make sure that when
you purchase software that it supports the Furuno protocol!
--
Rgds,
/Ger Rietman

"Michael Holz" schreef in bericht
Hi!
.... excellent unit. My only caution would be on

uploading/downloading
waypoints. If that function is important to you, make sure you have
software available before you purchase. It's been my experience that
much of the commonly available software for upload/download does not
support the Furuno GPS units.

Iīm not really sure, but.....normally - good - GPS units accepts simple

nmea
data.
So....every software which sends nmea should work.
And any - professional software which do not send nmea is - bull**** - !!

I use Maxsea and Maptechīs Offshore nanigator. Both works fine with my old
Furuno 31!!

cu Michael

sorry if my english isnīt so good ;-(

Steve

"Ger" wrote in message
Furuno is *not* standard NMEA. It has its own protocol for uploading
waypoints to it, kind of similar to NMEA, but not compatible. Software

that
has not implemented the Furuno protocol will not work, no matter if it
supports NMEA or not.

Hmmm! That doesn't sound very encouraging..

I think the problem in the protocol is the comments fields that are created
when the waypoints/routes are created. The Cap'n seems to have some way to
deal with this from what I have seen.. Won't know until I give it a try.. I
do know that The Cap'n does work with the comments, etc. Just not sure if
the formats will be compatible.

I purchased my GP32 on line and I expect it in a couple days..

Thanks for the heads up

Steve

I was just reading the GP32/37 manual last night and I did notice the
warning that it would erase all the waypoints an routes in the GPS.. Then I
got to figuring, I'm going to download the waypoints to the Nav Program
anyway and when I upload, I will be uploading all of the old waypoints plus
those I have modified/created..

Ger

Steve,
You may want to try my "Sailbase" program. It does support the standard
NMEA, Garmin and Furuno protocols for uploading to GPS of waypoints and
routes.
From what I understand you do not need all the functionallity in the program
(it is a passage planner), but at least you can use the waypoints and routes
administration and upload part of it.
You can download Sailbase from my site www.sailsoft.nl for a free trial.
--
Rgds,
/Ger Rietman

"Steve" schreef in bericht

"Ger" wrote in message
[...]

Steve

Thanks Ger, but upon looking it over I was disappointed to note that it does
not support any of the 'commercial' chart formats that I have.. All of my
charts are BSB/KAP, HDR, etc.

Too bad, looked like a solution..

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Steve

Default Furuno GP32 ?? Follow Up

I have just installed my new (used, ebay) GP-32.. It came without the
antenna and I was prepared to purchase a new antenna from Furuno ($75) but
first I tried it with my old Trimble antenna..

Works flawlessly.. I get 3D indication within 50 sec. and W3D in 90 sec..

My only problem was the need to change from the F connector to TNC.. A trip
to Radio Shack and $4 did the trick..

Now my problem is finding software that will allow my to do voyage planning
and upload the waypoints to the GP-32..

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Furuno GPS NEMA data cable connectors - anything else works? Jessie Cruising 10 December 20th 03 01:45 AM
Furuno GP-32 ?? Steve Cruising 32 December 13th 03 08:15 PM
Replacing kinescope in Furuno FCV-601 echosounder Krzysztof Szatanik Electronics 1 October 21st 03 10:28 PM