Jeff Morris

Default Battery Water (revisited)

Google "hydrogen catalyst" and you'll find links like:

http://www.news.wisc.edu/view.html?get=8740

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 08:23:48 +0200, "Meindert Sprang"
wrote:

Just basic chemistry. Use the right catalyst and you get a controlled
reaction instead of an explosion.

Meindert

I'll play along for a while. What catalyst will combine hydrogen and
oxygen without an explosion? I'm sure the submarine navies of the
world will be interested in that product. They spend millions venting
hydrogen from the battery banks in the bilges.

Larry W4CSC

3600 planes with transponders are burning 8-10 million
gallons of kerosene per hour over the USA. R-12 car air
conditioners are responsible for the ozone hole, right?

Larry W4CSC

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 09:57:33 -0400, "Jeff Morris"
jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote:

Google "hydrogen catalyst" and you'll find links like:

http://www.news.wisc.edu/view.html?get=8740

This article is about turning hydrocarbons, rich in hydrogen into
hydrogen, which is logical. But, this miracle-in-the-cap turns
hydrogen, which contains no oxygen, into water! I'm still baffled how
it turns hydrogen into water when there is no oxygen to do it! It's
amazing!

The word "Ancient Alchemist" comes to mind.....(c;

Larry W4CSC

3600 planes with transponders are burning 8-10 million
gallons of kerosene per hour over the USA. R-12 car air
conditioners are responsible for the ozone hole, right?
Meindert Sprang

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 09:57:33 -0400, "Jeff Morris"
jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote:

Google "hydrogen catalyst" and you'll find links like:

http://www.news.wisc.edu/view.html?get=8740

This article is about turning hydrocarbons, rich in hydrogen into
hydrogen, which is logical. But, this miracle-in-the-cap turns
hydrogen, which contains no oxygen, into water! I'm still baffled how
it turns hydrogen into water when there is no oxygen to do it! It's
amazing!

The word "Ancient Alchemist" comes to mind.....(c;

Look at http://www.fuelcells.org/whatis.htm
There you see it explained. And for the battery caps: hydrogen comes from
the inside and oxygen is present on both the inside as the outside of the
battery.

Meindert

Jeff Morris

Sorry, I grabbed the wrong link. You might try this one:
http://www.eere.energy.gov/RE/hydrogen_fuel_cells.html

Here's Steve Dashew's review:
http://www.setsail.com/c_central/techtalk/hydrocap.html

Why do you say there's no Oxygen? Where does the Hydrogen come from? As far as I know,
my simple Trojan golf cart batteries have no vent other than the filler cap, so the oxygen
and hydrogen must escape out the same hole.

One thing I don't know is what percentage of the water loss is evaporation and how much is
from hydrogen/oxygen venting. The Hydrocaps can help for both causes, though they
shouldn't be used while equalizing.

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 09:57:33 -0400, "Jeff Morris"
jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote:

Google "hydrogen catalyst" and you'll find links like:

http://www.news.wisc.edu/view.html?get=8740

This article is about turning hydrocarbons, rich in hydrogen into
hydrogen, which is logical. But, this miracle-in-the-cap turns
hydrogen, which contains no oxygen, into water! I'm still baffled how
it turns hydrogen into water when there is no oxygen to do it! It's
amazing!

The word "Ancient Alchemist" comes to mind.....(c;

Larry W4CSC

3600 planes with transponders are burning 8-10 million
gallons of kerosene per hour over the USA. R-12 car air
conditioners are responsible for the ozone hole, right?

Glenn Ashmore

Larry W4CSC wrote:

This article is about turning hydrocarbons, rich in hydrogen into
hydrogen, which is logical. But, this miracle-in-the-cap turns
hydrogen, which contains no oxygen, into water! I'm still baffled how
it turns hydrogen into water when there is no oxygen to do it! It's
amazing!

The word "Ancient Alchemist" comes to mind.....(c;

Are you are saying that the oxygen that was originally tied to the
hydrogen that is now free just vanished into nothingness? Not THAT's
Alchemy! (or maybe "Modern Physyics".) :-)

Does it not seem logical that an oxygen molecule that has happily
cohabitated with a couple of hydrogen molecules and suddenly has them
stripped away is not going to sit quietly by and let the hydrogen slip
out of the battery alone? Both of them need to share electrons with
somebody and all the platinum does is incourage them to reconcile.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Larry W4CSC

No, I'm saying the Oxygen is turned into PbO2, Lead Dioxide which is
deposited back on one of the plates in the charging process....we
hope.

I didn't know oxygen GAS bubbles off.....just Hydrogen.

You learn something on Usenet every 8 hours.....(c;

On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 13:32:27 -0400, Glenn Ashmore
wrote:

Larry W4CSC wrote:

[...]

Ron Thornton

Larry,

In addition to the chemistry going on to make the battery work, there
is also electrolysis going on which produces hydrogen and oxygen.

Ron

Fresh Water Tank Lou Cragin Cruising 6 December 8th 03 08:23 AM
Hot Water Dispenser Conor Crowley Cruising 11 October 28th 03 07:42 PM
Battery Water?? Steve Electronics 26 September 18th 03 07:17 PM
alternator charging to high? Richard Malcolm Electronics 8 August 20th 03 10:57 AM