Steve

Default Battery Water??

I'm ready to do some battery maintenance and realize I should have available
several gallons of distilled water for my battery bank. I have been
monitoring them and so far, over the last year, the electrolyte levels have
not yet dropped to a level of concern. However, I am doing more equalization
charging now and expect that will cause the level to drop some.

I have four L-16 Trojans (~800 AH total) and they hold a lot of liquid..

I expected I could just go to the Market and find a shelf of distilled water
(for steam irons).. All I found was shelf after shelf of water designated as
'drinking water'.

I really don't think 'drinking water' would be good for batteries since it
is generally just filtered and the minerals will still remain in harmful
quantities.

Am I wrong?? In fact, if I don't find TRUE 'distilled' water, I'm willing to
test some common bottled 'drinking water' by boiling a pan dry just to see
how much crap is left.

One place I haven't tried yet, is the auto parts stores, but I'm not too
sure they have personnel who will know what I'm looking for (guys who
couldn't get a job at West Moron).

So, where is everyone getting their battery water??

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Ron Thornton

Food Lion usually has distilled water, $.50/gal. Distilled is the key
word.

Ron

Keith

You need distilled water. If you can't find it at the grocery store, try a
drug store like Walgreens or Eckerds. I'm surprised it wasn't at the grocery
store... look a bit harder. There's a lot of "drinking water" but they
almost always have true distilled water... it's just on the bottom shelf and
not too much of it.

--

Keith
__
"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Larry W4CSC

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 12:19:33 -0700, "Steve" wrote:

So, where is everyone getting their battery water??

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

I make mine. It's my drinking water supply at home. All the grocery
stores in Charleston have distilled water in them. Even WalMart, an
excellent source!

Larry W4CSC

Maybe we could get the power grid fixed if every politician
regulating the power companies wasn't on their payrolls.
Paul Dougherty

"Steve" wrote in message ...
[...]

Hi,
My local store has distilled water in the laundry isle. I guess for use in irons.

Paul

Richard Malcolm

Vito wrote in message ...
Steve wrote:

I expected I could just go to the Market and find a shelf of distilled water...

Try the gagging cat (Food Lion).
73, K3DWW

I just got my at CVS. Any drug store should have it. look in the eye
dept. don't know why, but that's where I found it.
Dennis Pogson

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

In the UK almost all garages sell the stuff.

NYangel

distilled water can be obtain, by freezing water in the home freezer and
then defrost it........the water obtained is distilled water..........from a
chemistry major

Louis Bernard wrote in message
In addition to drug stores and grocery stores, another source according to

some
boaters here is water from your home dehumidifier. Someone may comment on

this
source of non mineralized water.

Bruce in Alaska

In article
,
"NYangel" wrote:

distilled water can be obtain, by freezing water in the home freezer and
then defrost it........the water obtained is distilled water..........from a
chemistry major

Louis Bernard wrote in message
In addition to drug stores and grocery stores, another source according to

some
boaters here is water from your home dehumidifier. Someone may comment on

this
source of non mineralized water.

Bzzzzzt WRONG, Would you like to try again behind, Door Number Two.
Distilled Water is just what it say's "Distilled". That means it was
made by heating it up to vapor phase, and then recondensing it back to
liquid phase. This causes all the minerals and other impurities that
boil at higher temps to be left in the heating container and only pure
H2O condensing in the receiver. Freezing will only suspend the
impurities in the Ice Crystaline Structure, and they then will remix
with the H2O when thawed out. You better get your money back from the
college your attending, as you didn't learn anything in InOrganic
Chemistry 101.

Bruce in alaska

who actually did finsh 4 years of NitroOrganic Chemistry 30 years ago

Steve

I get all my Battery Water from Alascom (Longlines Carrier for alaska)
and they have a Triple Distiller at Lena Pt. that supplies all their
Battery Plants in Southeastern Alaska. Rain water is fairly close and
can be used in a pinch, as loing as your not downwind of a Oil or Coal
fired PowerPlant.

Water systems on my boat - need suggestions, please. Adam Cruising 14 May 11th 04 04:56 PM
Fresh Water Tank Lou Cragin Cruising 6 December 8th 03 08:23 AM
Hot Water Dispenser Conor Crowley Cruising 11 October 28th 03 07:42 PM
alternator charging to high? Richard Malcolm Electronics 8 August 20th 03 10:57 AM