Paul Dougherty

Default Battery Water??

"Steve" wrote in message ...
I'm ready to do some battery maintenance and realize I should have available
several gallons of distilled water for my battery bank. I have been
monitoring them and so far, over the last year, the electrolyte levels have
not yet dropped to a level of concern. However, I am doing more equalization
charging now and expect that will cause the level to drop some.

I have four L-16 Trojans (~800 AH total) and they hold a lot of liquid..

I expected I could just go to the Market and find a shelf of distilled water
(for steam irons).. All I found was shelf after shelf of water designated as
'drinking water'.

I really don't think 'drinking water' would be good for batteries since it
is generally just filtered and the minerals will still remain in harmful
quantities.

Am I wrong?? In fact, if I don't find TRUE 'distilled' water, I'm willing to
test some common bottled 'drinking water' by boiling a pan dry just to see
how much crap is left.

One place I haven't tried yet, is the auto parts stores, but I'm not too
sure they have personnel who will know what I'm looking for (guys who
couldn't get a job at West Moron).

So, where is everyone getting their battery water??

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Hi,
My local store has distilled water in the laundry isle. I guess for use in irons.

Paul