Mark

Default Battery Water (revisited)

Larry Demers wrote:
Trojan agrees with the advice to forgo Equalization Charging. I bought 4
T105's and they came with information that said that EQ should NOT be done on
these batteries.

Not true.

Direct quote from the Trojan Battery website: "Many experts recommend
that batteries be equalized periodically, ranging anywhere from once a
month to once or twice per year. However, Trojan only recommends
equalizing when low or wide ranging specific gravity (± .015) are
detected after fully charging a battery."
Bruce in Alaska

In article ,
"Jim Woodward" jameslwoodward at attbi dot com wrote:

Bruce, you confuse me here....

Back in the "Dark Ages, I ran a company that produced various ion beam
equipment. It often required cooling. This was easy to do with a cooling
water loop in the test area, except that the ion sources were often quite
far from ground -- as much as 400kv in air. We also built higher voltage
stuff, but it was insulated with pressurized SF6.

In order that the cooling water not be a short path to ground, it had to be
non conductive, which we accomplished by deionizing it, effectively removing
all the dissolved particles. So, I know a little -- not a lot -- about
deionizing water.

Steam distilling leaves behind two kinds of things -- dissolved minerals,
such as calcium carbonate, sodium chloride, and the like, which, because
they are dissolved, are in ionic form -- and particle matter -- fine sand,
for example, that might be carried in the water.

Now, it's strictly true that if you deionize water, you remove only the
dissolved minerals, and could leave the non-ionic solids, but as a practical
matter, you're going to filter the water and remove the non-ionic solids
before you sell it. Both methods get the non H2O stuff out, although with
different methods. Both can deliver pretty good purity if you work hard
enough at it -- certainly good enough for battery water. So, I'd say they
are indeed functional equivalents.

--
Jim Woodward
www.mvFintry.com

There are MAJOR differences in what your were working with back in the
"Dark Ages" and what is being marketed as "Deionized Water". You were
in a LAB Grade enviorment, and these guy's are selling TAP WATER that
has been run through a Deionizing Columb once or twice. Deionizing
columbs are ION SPECIFIC, in nature aremust be tuned to the water
that they are working with to get anywhere near the Distilled Water
spec's. Most of these outfits just take out the Calcium and Iron and
let it go at that, and there are a lot of other things in there that can
deal the DEATH BLOW to a Battery. Ever seen what Magnesium does to a
Lead Acid Battery???? Also there has been studies undertaken by
Consumer Reports, and others concerning the quality of bottled water in
all it's varieties, that preety much says that Tap Water from a big city
is as good as most bottled water. Next, anyone who would put Single
Distilled Water in any battery needs to rethink his position, as I see
it. I use only Triple Distilled Water in my batteries, and I get it from
ALASCOM, my LongLines Telco Supplier, who maintains a pile of Battery
Banks in their Systems. They have their own Triple Distiller in House.
Now others may hold other opinions, and it has been a number (More than
25) years since I was a NitroOrganic Chemist, and did this kind of
testing for money, but the Principals are the same. Deionized Water
isn't the Functional Equivelent of Distilled Water in my estimation and
the MASS Spectrum Analyzers, and Gas Cromatagraphs, that I used years
ago convinced me. Your milage may vary.....

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @
Jim Woodward

Thanks for the explanation -- deionized water could be the functional
equivalent of triple distilled, but the stuff you buy in the stores ain't.

--
Jim Woodward
www.mvFintry.com

"Bruce in Alaska" wrote in message
[...]

Panama

Another direct Trojan quote -
–When do I need to perform an equalization charge?
Equalizing should be performed when a battery is first purchased
(called a freshening charge) and on a regular basis as needed. How
often this might occur with your battery will vary depending on your
application. You will need to monitor your battery voltage and
specific gravity to determine when equalization is needed. For
example, it is time to equalize if the measured specific gravity
values are below manufacturer's recommended values after charging
(recommended value for Trojan Deep Cycle batteries is 1.277 +/- .007
at 80o F). Equalizing is also required if the specific gravity value
of any individual cell varies 30 points or more. Reduced performance
can also be an indicator that equalizing is necessary. Equalization
should also be performed when individual battery voltages in a battery
pack range greater than 0.15 volts for 6 volt batteries or 0.30 volts
for 12 volt batteries. A good rule of thumb is to perform equalize
charging once every 10 cycles.

http://trojanbattery.com/customercare_faqcharging.html

Fresh Water Tank Lou Cragin Cruising 6 December 8th 03 08:23 AM
Hot Water Dispenser Conor Crowley Cruising 11 October 28th 03 07:42 PM
Battery Water?? Steve Electronics 26 September 18th 03 07:17 PM
alternator charging to high? Richard Malcolm Electronics 8 August 20th 03 10:57 AM