JerryK

Default handlheld GPS units suggestions

Hi,

After revewing the IPAQ based solutions I am wondering if a dedicated
handheld based solution might not be a better option.

The ones I have seen the most ads for are the Garmin GPSMap 76 and the
Magellan Meridian Marine. Does anyone have some expereince with these or
similar units? Both are in the $250 range, which is about what I would like
to spend. However, it looks like I have to buy some additional map software
if I want good resolution. Is that true?

Thanks,

Jerry

Mole

Just remember...the time you'll need it the most is when things get rough.
And trying to read that little screen on a hand held is going to be terrible
when the water is throwing you around. In those situations a 5" screen at
minimum is a blessing.

"JerryK" wrote in message
Hi,

After revewing the IPAQ based solutions I am wondering if a dedicated
handheld based solution might not be a better option.

The ones I have seen the most ads for are the Garmin GPSMap 76 and the
Magellan Meridian Marine. Does anyone have some expereince with these or
similar units? Both are in the $250 range, which is about what I would

like
to spend. However, it looks like I have to buy some additional map

software
if I want good resolution. Is that true?

Thanks,

Jerry

JerryK

Good point. I need to pass along another bit of information. This unit
will primarily be used from an airplane. I fly patrols for the USCG Aux and
want the GPS so we don't have to spend so much time following along on a
map. Also, when we get a SAR case it would be useful to be able to punch it
a lat/long. or better yet a POI, and have the map display update. Also, we
need to know where the various ATONs are located.

jerry

. net...

"JerryK" wrote in message
Hi,

After revewing the IPAQ based solutions I am wondering if a dedicated
handheld based solution might not be a better option.

The ones I have seen the most ads for are the Garmin GPSMap 76 and the
Magellan Meridian Marine. Does anyone have some expereince with these or
similar units? Both are in the $250 range, which is about what I would

like
to spend. However, it looks like I have to buy some additional map

software
if I want good resolution. Is that true?

Thanks,

Jerry

Andy

Hey Jerry I've been looking into these too. Check this site out they have
a site lisitng and prices.
http://www.dealtime.com/xPC-Garmin_G...f91c4e73~AT-DD

Andy

Andy

Disreguard my last post. I checked the sites and they are advertising the
regular 76. So much for search engines

Andy

Everett

Try http://www.dealtime.com/xPO-Garmin_GPSMAP_76S for the 76S .. a great