Brian Thompson

Default Suggestions on a GPS/Chartplotter

After all these years with a compass, paper charts, parallel rules and
divider my wife is determined to buy me a GPS/Chartplotter. If I'm going
that route I want a fixed color unit that will interface with my radar. I
believe Garmin makes good user friendly units but I would like to know if
anyone has specific experience with them and what you consider to be the
best model or any manufacturer for that matter (I suppose I shouldn't be
predisposed to any particular brand).
Thanks in advance.
Brian

Larry W4CSC

What kinda radar you gots? Maybe just swap out the display to a new
one with the chart plotter/gps unit.

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 19:52:21 GMT, "Brian Thompson"
wrote:

After all these years with a compass, paper charts, parallel rules and
divider my wife is determined to buy me a GPS/Chartplotter. If I'm going
that route I want a fixed color unit that will interface with my radar. I
believe Garmin makes good user friendly units but I would like to know if
anyone has specific experience with them and what you consider to be the
best model or any manufacturer for that matter (I suppose I shouldn't be
predisposed to any particular brand).
Thanks in advance.
Brian

John Buscema

My boat has two redundant systems, one of which is interfaced into the boats
radar. One is a Northstar and the other is a Simrad. By far the Northstar
is the easier of the two to use, redraws screens faster and the graphics are
much better.

The Simrad I primarily use for radar and it is a very serious unit. Split
screen is a really good feature - can set two ranges on radar at sae time.

I know Northstar now offers integrated radar, but I'm not sure how well it
is executed - not seen it.

Simrad is supposed to have a better screen forviewing in direct sun. Simrad
offers morecomplete solutions - instruments, autopilot, etc.

I don't know how technically savvy you are, but what I wanted was to have
charting software on my laptop and then feed into the boat directly via
download. It works, but was a bit quirky to get to work. I use the
Northstar for this and it controls my autopilot - which is Simrad. With
laptop I plan all my trips at home or commuting and then load into boat when
we're ready to leave. In reality it does work pretty well, other than the
quirks.

John Buscema

Messing In Boats

I have two Garmins, a 182 for down and a 182C for the flybridge because
it's easier to see in the daylight. I don't have them interfaced with
radar, because I'm a bit paranoid about having one of them take out the
whole thing, so I leave them separate.

Garmin has the best charts with their BlueCharts, which of course are no
good in any other unit. They also have the best customer service on the
planet, IMHO.

Capt. jeff