Default open mikes on radios

Folks, when you're out and about in your water conveyance, would you
PLEASE ensure your microphone is not in a place where it can be jammed
into the OPEN position? It seems every day someone ties up 16 by
sitting on their mike...it's DANGEROUS folks. In addition the
offending station is often DF'd by the CG and that can lead to
unpleasant consequences. Every boater needs to participate in making
the waters safe, and this is one way to do it.

---------------------------
to see who "wf3h" is, go to "qrz.com"
and enter 'wf3h' in the field
Keith

I second that. We had an open mike somewhere in or close to my marina for
three WEEKS! I called the USCG in Galveston, who said it wasn't any of their
business and since they couldn't hear it (20 miles away) it must not be a
problem. "Call the FCC... they're in charge of radios" they told me. So I
did. Started in Washington, D.C. and actually tracked down someone local. I
suppose they finally tracked down the radio, because it stopped a week
later.

I was really amazed at the USCG's lack of interest.

--

Keith
__
wrote in message
Folks, when you're out and about in your water conveyance, would you
PLEASE ensure your microphone is not in a place where it can be jammed
into the OPEN position? It seems every day someone ties up 16 by
sitting on their mike...it's DANGEROUS folks. In addition the
offending station is often DF'd by the CG and that can lead to
unpleasant consequences. Every boater needs to participate in making
the waters safe, and this is one way to do it.

---------------------------
to see who "wf3h" is, go to "qrz.com"
and enter 'wf3h' in the field

JAD

Default and ANOTHER thing on VHF....

I hear boats MILES away talking to other stations within sight of them. I
hear boats MILES away talking to the guy on the dock with a portable (within
view) to ask if there is a slip available for dining. I hear calls to the
marina for service....and the marina is 10-15 MILES AWAY....and SO is the
maritime station!

I am able to complete 95% of my communications on VHF with the LOW POWER
SETTING.....I wish other boaters would be aware of how they interfere
unnecessarily by not using low power whenever possible. ALL CALLS should be
tried on low power FIRST!

FIND THAT SWITCH and USE IT!!!!!!

Whew! ....that feels better. I'm probably preaching to the choir here on
the NG though......

Joe
wrote in message
Folks, when you're out and about in your water conveyance, would you
PLEASE ensure your microphone is not in a place where it can be jammed
into the OPEN position? It seems every day someone ties up 16 by
sitting on their mike...it's DANGEROUS folks. In addition the
offending station is often DF'd by the CG and that can lead to
unpleasant consequences. Every boater needs to participate in making
the waters safe, and this is one way to do it.

---------------------------
to see who "wf3h" is, go to "qrz.com"
and enter 'wf3h' in the field

BOEING377

I hear boats MILES away talking to other stations within sight of them. I
hear boats MILES away talking to the guy on the dock with a portable (within
view) to ask if there is a slip available for dining. I hear calls to the
marina for service....and the marina is 10-15 MILES AWAY....and SO is the
maritime station!

I am able to complete 95% of my communications on VHF with the LOW POWER
SETTING.....I wish other boaters would be aware of how they interfere
unnecessarily by not using low power whenever possible. ALL CALLS should be
tried on low power FIRST!

Dont you wish they had made all VHFs with a mic that had some kind of two
button system where normal use was one watt and two buttons had to be depressed
for 25 watt operation?

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 10:58:28 -0400, "JAD"
wrote:

I hear boats MILES away talking to other stations within sight of them. I
hear boats MILES away talking to the guy on the dock with a portable (within
view) to ask if there is a slip available for dining. I hear calls to the
marina for service....and the marina is 10-15 MILES AWAY....and SO is the
maritime station!

I am able to complete 95% of my communications on VHF with the LOW POWER
SETTING.....I wish other boaters would be aware of how they interfere
unnecessarily by not using low power whenever possible. ALL CALLS should be
tried on low power FIRST!

FIND THAT SWITCH and USE IT!!!!!!

Whew! ....that feels better. I'm probably preaching to the choir here on
the NG though......

Since I do a lot of sailing in NY Harbor, I monitor VHF13 all the
time. If I turn on scan I also get 16, 22, and 3 WX alarms.

13 is automatic low power on all radios AFIK. I still hear
conversations 15 to 20 miles away, somewhat depending on weather.

Most of the people that bother you are probably using high power
unnecessarily, but some may not.

I leave my radio on low power all the time. I only switch if I fail to
make contact.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

MOM CASTS TOT IN CEMENT

Most experts voice cautious optimism
JAD

Yup Rodney, we sailors, for the most part, have masthead antennas, which
definitely trump most other designs with both transmit and RECEIVE
performance. I guess it might be part of my "problem." Altitude is
everything in VHF performance.

The VHF band has been "open" most early mornings here in the East.....I have
made a couple of contacts from the Northern Chesapeake to my buddy
fishing.....50-90 miles SE of Cape May. It's "ducting" or some type e-layer
propagation.

Tell you what...the "weather alert" feature sure works great on my Icom. I
can't remember if it's enabled all of the time.....or just when scanning or
in dual or tri-watch mode. It was "going off" left and right
Saturday....some nasty storms went through here.

Fair winds....Joe

wrote:

[...]

Vito

JAD wrote:

Yup Rodney, we sailors, for the most part, have masthead antennas, which
definitely trump most other designs with both transmit and RECEIVE
performance. I guess it might be part of my "problem." Altitude is
everything in VHF performance.

Right! So the solution could be two antennae, a gain antenna on the mast
for emergencies and a 1/4 wave on the deck for local chats. I might look
at that since I'm going to install a ham rig anyway and have some
switches in my junk box.
73, K3DWW
JAD

Vito....not TOO MUCH gain on the mast.....won't work while heeled over or
waving about in high seas due to narrow angle radiation.. Use the sailboat
type antenna (which is a 1/2 wave design) meant for masthead mounting.
IMPRESSIVE performance on VHF. My ham VHF / UHF dual-bander (a Larsen
knock-off) is an NMO mount clamped to a spreader, and works very well from
there, despite the mast and shrouds nearby. I did not want to crowd the
masthead with too many things.....STILL have to add a light!

I use my marine H-T at the helm for exactly the reason you want a second
antenna....and STILL receives "too well." Works fine for local comms, and,
to me, more economical than adding a "command mike" (remote speaker / mike)
at the helm. Now I have a second radio aboard.

Joe
"Vito" wrote in message
JAD wrote:

Yup Rodney, we sailors, for the most part, have masthead antennas, which
definitely trump most other designs with both transmit and RECEIVE
performance. I guess it might be part of my "problem." Altitude is
everything in VHF performance.

Right! So the solution could be two antennae, a gain antenna on the mast
for emergencies and a 1/4 wave on the deck for local chats. I might look
at that since I'm going to install a ham rig anyway and have some
switches in my junk box.
73, K3DWW

Marcus AAkesson

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 18:23:34 -0400, Rodney Myrvaagnes
wrote:

Since I do a lot of sailing in NY Harbor, I monitor VHF13 all the
time. If I turn on scan I also get 16, 22, and 3 WX alarms.

13 is automatic low power on all radios AFIK

For the US channel plan this seems to be a requirement?

Problem is, many US-made radios is still 1W on 13 even in
international mode (Motorola for example), and that's pretty annoying
sometimes.

/Marcus

--
Marcus AAkesson
Gothenburg Callsigns: SM6XFN & SB4779

Newbee question. Bayliners on open sea Snoopy General 28 July 21st 04 12:23 AM
Boat Show/ Open House Kevin General 0 April 16th 04 07:12 AM
open boat self-steering Arco Boat Building 13 March 12th 04 04:55 PM
An Open Letter to John F. Kerry Christopher Robin General 0 February 21st 04 06:15 AM