Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Ken

Default Marine VHF radio range? Type? Buy where?

Jim,
A pair of good marine handhelds would work fine over that distance, they
would be waterproof and would allow you to monitor the weather channels, in
addition to allowing you access tomarine emergency channels as well as other
boaters. Installation isn't a problem since there is none, using a hand
held at the cottage allows it to be carried to the lawn like a cordless
phone, plus they are easier to secure than a permenant setup.
Since your cottage is in Canada whatever licensing you need for marine VHF
in the States works up here. You don't need an station licenses anymore so
picking up a pair of units in the States or Canada wouldn't be a problem.
As to where to buy them, your choice but I would get them from a place that
you can get them serviced if need be. You may find that you can get better
deals in the US, you don't see them on sale much up here in Canada.
As to the Amateur solutions that have been suggested, I am a Canadian
Amateur and am a licensed marine Operator as well, so given my personal
experince with both, the cheapest, easiest and simplest is the marine
handheld that I have suggested.
Hope this is of help and if you have an other question drop me a line at ken
at starship.ca

"Jim Pratt" wrote in message
I would like to put a VHF marine band radio on my boat up in Canada in

order
to keep in contact with our cottage (we live in Arizona). The max distance
between these two points would be perhaps 3 miles, though most of the time
within 1 mile. What type of radio equipment would be the type to install?
Antenna (boat/base station)? Where would you purchase it from? Buy in USA

or
Canada and pay duty?

Thanks much,
Jim

How many boats have a marine radio? Jerry Kurata General 17 June 22nd 04 07:19 PM
Emergency marine radio - aviation 121.5 radio in a pinch? Mitchell Gossman General 12 June 20th 04 04:56 PM
Marine radio Mitchell Gossman General 3 June 17th 04 04:53 AM
Just a few names... John Smith General 0 May 2nd 04 11:32 PM
VANISHED (stolen?)- a new (and unique) 57' Beneteau [email protected] Cruising 18 January 13th 04 12:26 AM