posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Boat Stereo / Amp

I'm adding an AMP to my stereo system, should the POWER/12V wire go to the
SWITCH or should it go directly to the Battery positive?

posted to rec.boats.electronics

On Tue, 12 May 2009 18:18:45 -0400, "Matt"
wrote:

I'm adding an AMP to my stereo system, should the POWER/12V wire go to the
SWITCH or should it go directly to the Battery positive?

Read The Fine Manual that should have come with your amplifier. (and
how would we know what SWITCH you are talking about?)

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca
posted to rec.boats.electronics

"Matt" wrote in
:

I'm adding an AMP to my stereo system, should the POWER/12V wire go to
the SWITCH or should it go directly to the Battery positive?

How big are its fuses? Twin 30A fuses = 60A tops....pretty much answering
your own question...OUCH! BIG WIRE straight to the battery.

The amps are all switched on by a very low current control wire you put +
12V to when you want to turn the amps on. Shut down the control voltage,
and the amps shut themselves off.

No, you can't charge the battery at all drawing 50A from some huge stereo
off an outboard motor's 15A charging circuit.....

--
-----
Larry
posted to rec.boats.electronics

In article , Larry wrote:
"Matt" wrote in
:

I'm adding an AMP to my stereo system, should the POWER/12V wire go to
the SWITCH or should it go directly to the Battery positive?

How big are its fuses? Twin 30A fuses = 60A tops....pretty much answering
your own question...OUCH! BIG WIRE straight to the battery.

The amps are all switched on by a very low current control wire you put +
12V to when you want to turn the amps on. Shut down the control voltage,
and the amps shut themselves off.

No, you can't charge the battery at all drawing 50A from some huge stereo
off an outboard motor's 15A charging circuit.....

Thats only for peak power. Normal power is much less.
A fuse MUST be installed close to the battery regardless.

greg
posted to rec.boats.electronics

The AMP requires a 90A fuse.

I plan on wiring the 12V+ From the AMP (4 gauge) to the COMMON on the
switch. I have a 1' 4 gauge power cable with a 90A fues built in.

From what I have been reading that is the way to do it, rather than 12V+
from AMP straight to battery Positive.

Sound good?

"GregS" wrote in message
In article , Larry
wrote:
"Matt" wrote in
:

I'm adding an AMP to my stereo system, should the POWER/12V wire go to
the SWITCH or should it go directly to the Battery positive?

How big are its fuses? Twin 30A fuses = 60A tops....pretty much answering
your own question...OUCH! BIG WIRE straight to the battery.

The amps are all switched on by a very low current control wire you put +
12V to when you want to turn the amps on. Shut down the control voltage,
and the amps shut themselves off.

No, you can't charge the battery at all drawing 50A from some huge stereo
off an outboard motor's 15A charging circuit.....

Thats only for peak power. Normal power is much less.
A fuse MUST be installed close to the battery regardless.

greg

posted to rec.boats.electronics

The AMP requires a 90A fuse.

Be sure you have enough alternator capacity, along with batteries, to
actually drive that amp. You may find you have neither enough battery
capacity, nor an alternator capable of keeping up with it. Factor in the
cost of a marinized alternator then.

I plan on wiring the 12V+ From the AMP (4 gauge) to the COMMON on the
switch. I have a 1' 4 gauge power cable with a 90A fues built in.

What you "plan" on wiring should be based on what the manufacturer of that
amp (which you haven't mentioned) recommends. It still doesn't sound like
you're on the right track.

posted to rec.boats.electronics

What is the rating of the switch you intend to connect this #4 wire
to? And what size wire is feeding the switch?

If you are referring to the boat's main battery switch, then, yes, the
output terminal of the battery switch would be a suitable place to
connect the amp power cable.

On Sat, 16 May 2009 20:03:40 -0400, "Matt"
wrote:

The AMP requires a 90A fuse.

I plan on wiring the 12V+ From the AMP (4 gauge) to the COMMON on the
switch. I have a 1' 4 gauge power cable with a 90A fues built in.

From what I have been reading that is the way to do it, rather than 12V+
from AMP straight to battery Positive.

Sound good?

"GregS" wrote in message
In article , Larry
wrote:
"Matt" wrote in
:

I'm adding an AMP to my stereo system, should the POWER/12V wire go to
the SWITCH or should it go directly to the Battery positive?

How big are its fuses? Twin 30A fuses = 60A tops....pretty much answering
your own question...OUCH! BIG WIRE straight to the battery.

The amps are all switched on by a very low current control wire you put +
12V to when you want to turn the amps on. Shut down the control voltage,
and the amps shut themselves off.

No, you can't charge the battery at all drawing 50A from some huge stereo
off an outboard motor's 15A charging circuit.....

Thats only for peak power. Normal power is much less.
A fuse MUST be installed close to the battery regardless.

greg

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca
posted to rec.boats.electronics

Yes, I will have to check the alternator capacity..

The manufacturuer recommends 4gague wire for the ground and 12V+ with a
90A/100A fuse inline.

"Bill Kearney" wrote in message
t...
The AMP requires a 90A fuse.

Be sure you have enough alternator capacity, along with batteries, to
actually drive that amp. You may find you have neither enough battery
capacity, nor an alternator capable of keeping up with it. Factor in the
cost of a marinized alternator then.

I plan on wiring the 12V+ From the AMP (4 gauge) to the COMMON on the
switch. I have a 1' 4 gauge power cable with a 90A fues built in.

What you "plan" on wiring should be based on what the manufacturer of that
amp (which you haven't mentioned) recommends. It still doesn't sound like
you're on the right track.

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Boat Stereo / Amp ALTERNATOR SPECS

I beleive this is the alternator i have, what do you think:

Sierra G Alternator 817119A4 Single Groove Pulley. 55 Amp.

for a kicker mx700.5 amp...

In article , "Matt" wrote:
The AMP requires a 90A fuse.

I plan on wiring the 12V+ From the AMP (4 gauge) to the COMMON on the
switch. I have a 1' 4 gauge power cable with a 90A fues built in.

Switches are not normally used, but there is a small drain on the battery,
sometimes enough to be bad if the battery sits for weeks.

You also mention switch, then also talk about being switched from control.
if you need more clarity you could read the car audio FAQ, or even ask questions
to rec.audio.car

greg

From what I have been reading that is the way to do it, rather than 12V+
from AMP straight to battery Positive.