Default Boat Stereo with thumb drive update

The thumb drive works very well, but I proably need to give it "mixed"
reviews
vs. the iPod option (or learn to use it better).

Once fired up, the digital display on the stereo face shows the title
of the folder (album) selected. It also shows the track #, but only
shows the name of the track after it starts to play.

So I can skip past one album or another on the drive, or fiddle around
until the specific album desired appears in the window. Unless there
are some tricks I'm not using, the iPod would probably make it fster
and easier to find individual albums or tracks.

On the "up" side, there is no dangling wire to mess with and no need
to rig a seperate mount for an iPod. Cost is enormously different, as
a 4.0 GB thumb drive was $30 on sale and a 4.0 iPod isabout 5 times as
much.

Chuck Gould wrote:
The thumb drive works very well, but I proably need to give it "mixed"
reviews
vs. the iPod option (or learn to use it better).

Once fired up, the digital display on the stereo face shows the title
of the folder (album) selected. It also shows the track #, but only
shows the name of the track after it starts to play.

So I can skip past one album or another on the drive, or fiddle around
until the specific album desired appears in the window. Unless there
are some tricks I'm not using, the iPod would probably make it fster
and easier to find individual albums or tracks.

On the "up" side, there is no dangling wire to mess with and no need
to rig a seperate mount for an iPod. Cost is enormously different, as
a 4.0 GB thumb drive was $30 on sale and a 4.0 iPod isabout 5 times as
much.

It sounds like the key is to make an playlist of assorted music and just
let it play.

On Oct 11, 4:45?pm, "Reginald P. Smithers III"
wrote:
Chuck Gould wrote:
[...]

let it play.- Hide quoted text -

That would likely be the best approach. As my wife and I don't always
share the same taste in music, we could have "his and hers" thumb
drives, each with hours upon hours of our favorites.

On Oct 11, 4:57?pm, "JimH" ask wrote:
"Chuck Gould" wrote in message

oups.com...

The thumb drive works very well, but I proably need to give it "mixed"
reviews
vs. the iPod option (or learn to use it better).

Once fired up, the digital display on the stereo face shows the title
of the folder (album) selected. It also shows the track #, but only
shows the name of the track after it starts to play.

So I can skip past one album or another on the drive, or fiddle around
until the specific album desired appears in the window. Unless there
are some tricks I'm not using, the iPod would probably make it fster
and easier to find individual albums or tracks.

On the "up" side, there is no dangling wire to mess with and no need
to rig a seperate mount for an iPod. Cost is enormously different, as
a 4.0 GB thumb drive was $30 on sale and a 4.0 iPod isabout 5 times as
much.

So you spend tens of thousands on your boat upgrade and have a problem with
the $120 difference between a cheap thumbdrive and an bipod, even though you
admit the Ipod would be better:

Quote: "Unless there are some tricks I'm not using, the bipod would
probably make it fster and easier to find individual albums or tracks."

"Progressive" logic?- Hide quoted text -

The iPod might sort the music more conveniently. It won't store it any
"better", and will require stringing a klutzy looking cable between
the face of the stereo and wherever I could mount the iPod. I'm not
sure that makes it "better", just different. We like to keep things
fairly well lashed down, particularly something as fragile as an
electronic device.
When conditions get snotty, we like to minimize the amount of stuff
that goes zinging past the earlobes in unexpected flight. One
illustration I saw of an iPod adapted to a stereo showed it literally
hanging underneath......which wouldn't work at all in any sort of
actual seaway.

[...]

I thought itunes had some sort of issue about the songs only being playable
on the computer which downloaded them, and/or the ipod. This rumor comes
from my son, who's way too busy to take the time to explain. Can you
enlighten me, Chuck?

On Oct 11, 9:18?pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
[...]

enlighten me, Chuck?- Hide quoted text -

I own tons of CD's, and I'm using a Windows program to rip the CD's
onto the thumb drive. Copyright shouldn't be an issue, as all of the
artists were paid a few cents apiece when I bought the CD's and I'm
not going to resell or othewise distribute the CD's when I've copied
them. iTunes is not involved in any of this current project- however-
I will say that I downloaded a Wicked Tinkers album from iTunes onto a
CD and it plays on the car stereo just fine. But then again, that's
Wicked Tinkers and maybe they aren't as territorial as some other
labels.

"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

My Grandson was showing off his IPod the other day while we were driving
somewhere. He started his IPod and then set my car radio on a particular FM
station that he had the IPod set to broadcast to. I didn't see anything
attached to the IPod making it a miniature broadcast station. So I'm
assuming that you can get something that makes the IPod into such a
broadcast station. It worked pretty well. Thank God we both like Johnny
Cash or I might have had to make him walk.
My dock comes out this weekend, hopefully. The flood waters in August may
have bent the pipe that holds it in place as one end of the dock is about 4
foot closer to shore and that pipe is at an angle and isn't sticking up out
of the dock as far as the other end. Neighbor had the same problem and his
pipe broke off when he tried to turn it out of the river bottom leaving some
pipe hidden under water. Can't have that as boaters like to see how close
they can get to shore in front of my place before turning around and heading
back down river. They're afraid of the sand bar that lies hidden just under
the water on the other side of the river.

Tom G.

HK HK is offline

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
[...]

There's no such issue I have encountered, as my wife and I have our own
iPods and some of the same songs are on both. Chuck's "issue" with the
dangling wire is also a non-issue. You can fold and tape the wire to
keep it short and you can velcro the iPod onto any convenient surface.
There's no real reason to use the cradle, either, as the wire alone will
suffice.

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
[...]

go to apple.com and see about stuff bought from itunes store. multiple
computers and multiple ipods. maroon.