Default Boat Stereo Questions

Each time I resolved to replace the stereo system on my boat this
year, it would start working properly again and the task would drop
several notches on the priority list. Saturday, it gave up the ghost-
wouldn't turn on until about 50 attempts had been mae pressing the
switch, and even then the digital display was kaput. Only about 14
years' service from that unit- I guess they just don't make them like
they used to. :-)

Speaking of not making them like they used to.........

Holy Smackaroons

Used to think I knew a few things about car stereo (my stereo mounts
in the cabin where it's pretty protected- and I don't need/won't buy
"marine" version). Looking at the specs for potential replacements, I
can see where the industry has evolved substantially in the last 14
years while my technical awareness has not. It's like learning a new
language.

Questions for the more techinally hip:

1. Anybody got "HD" FM radio? Would you rate the difference in sound
quality as indistinguishable, marginal, or substantial?

2. Anybody using "memory cards" for music storage? Actually sounds
like a better approach than hooking up an external iPod, at least at
first blush. (We've got an entire galley drawer filled with CD's,
etc....would be nice to free up that space and store the music data on
something much smaller). So:

3. What are the pros and cons of memory cards, mp3 CD's, CD changers,
separate iPod's etc? There's a real smorgasbord og choices now
available.

4. Any general advice on this subject?

On Sep 10, 12:15 pm, Chuck Gould wrote:
[...]

I went with one of the deh- pioneers (also not marine) and added the
real ipod adapter. It transfers your ipod control to the radio
controls and display. You could just get a second hand ipod and leave
it connected if all you want is a lot of storage. We let everyone
bring their ipods when we go out.

I have not seen a stereo that uses memory cards. Many of the later
ones can read mp3 cds. That at least would let you reduce your cd
count. Most will recognize a folder on the cd as well so you can
organize you mp3s if you go that way.

HK HK is offline

jamesgangnc wrote:
[...]

I vote for the ipod...my wife and I each have one, and we plug it into
the car, she uses hers at her office, or while traveling, and as a way
to play back non-music audio tapes. Very high fidelity, easy to use, and
pretty reliable.

Chuck Gould wrote:
[...]

Chuck,

Ipod is generally considered the most user friendly music player, and
the universal complaint is no FM reciever and the fact that you can only
you download music from ITunes, and that will lock you up with Ipod
because only Ipod will play Itune purchased music.

You will be able to load all your CD's into the Ipod, so if you did not
plan on buying the music online it is no big deal.

I personally would buy the Ipod Nano and I FM/CD Player Tuner with the
ability to plug your Ipod Nano into the Tuner. The Ipod Nano will hold
about 1000 - 2000 songs, which is all I need in a MP3 player.

http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/

On Sep 10, 10:20?am, HK wrote:
jamesgangnc wrote:
[...]

pretty reliable.- Hide quoted text -

How about the interface?

I bought a portable mp3 player last year, (not the iPod brand), and I
have loaded one album onto the thing and hardly used it since. The
biggest problem is the interface, IMO. Push this button thirty one
times, bush that other buttom twice, stop to chant, spin twice on left
heel, push first button 11 times more and then second button another
six. Although somewhat exaggerated, I concluded that it takes just
about that much nonsense that to change selections. :-(

1. Anybody got "HD" FM radio? Would you rate the difference in sound
quality as indistinguishable, marginal, or substantial?

HD FM isn't about better fidelity as much as it's about more programming.
Many stations are broadcasting more than one HD stream. But I don't have an
HD radio gear at this point.

2. Anybody using "memory cards" for music storage?

I've never seen any car stereo head units (the radio) with memory card
slots. I've seen some that have a USB socket. You can plug a regular USB
'thumbdrive' into them. You can also plug a USB card reader and use memory
cards. The little cards are easy to lose or get stolen.

3. What are the pros and cons of memory cards, mp3 CD's, CD changers,
separate iPod's etc? There's a real smorgasbord og choices now
available.

Then there's the hassle of having to use the stereo's controls to access the
tracks. This is true whether you're using USB or a connected iPod. Make
SURE TO TRY USING IT before buying it. Some systems have HORRIBLE user
interfaces for dealing with the iPod.

4. Any general advice on this subject?

It depends on your boat and listening habits. I greatly prefer having the
head unit in the cabin and a waterproof remote at the helm (and on the
transom but I don't use it that often). But the Clarion setup I've got
isn't very friendly with how it lets you control things. You may want to
consider a unit that supports remote control.

I also run the DVD player through the AUX input on the back of the radio.
This lets us watch movies using the full speaker setup instead of just the
little ones on the TV itself.

-Bill Kearney

Chuck Gould wrote:

How about the interface?

I bought a portable mp3 player last year, (not the iPod brand), and I
have loaded one album onto the thing and hardly used it since. The
biggest problem is the interface, IMO. Push this button thirty one
times, bush that other buttom twice, stop to chant, spin twice on left
heel, push first button 11 times more and then second button another
six. Although somewhat exaggerated, I concluded that it takes just
about that much nonsense that to change selections. :-(

The interface is considered the easiest and most intuitive mp3 on the
market.

HK HK is offline

Chuck Gould wrote:
On Sep 10, 10:20?am, HK wrote:
jamesgangnc wrote:
[...]

Huh? The ipod is easy. We have last year's model, the 60 gig units. On
my older car, I have hardwired a unit to the car's radio and the radio
controls, including the ones on the steering wheel, switch to the ipod,
and move forward through the various albums and within those, individual
songs. Same with volume. Other vehicle, much newer, handles ipod
directly...and there are third-party "car radios" that can be installed
in boats that do the same.

I also play my ipod through my stereo system. Works great.

There are many sources for music for your ipod, including Apple's site,
your own cds, and many other sites, some of which provide music in the
ipod format and many which provide music in a format that can easily
converted to ipod format.

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 10:58:46 -0700, Chuck Gould
wrote:

How about the interface?

I bought a portable mp3 player last year, (not the iPod brand), and I
have loaded one album onto the thing and hardly used it since. The
biggest problem is the interface, IMO. Push this button thirty one
times, bush that other buttom twice, stop to chant, spin twice on left
heel, push first button 11 times more and then second button another
six. Although somewhat exaggerated, I concluded that it takes just
about that much nonsense that to change selections. :-(

I'm with you. I'm getting tired of stuff that takes 10-10 vision,
tiny fingers, and complex sequences to do things that were formerly
done by twisting a big knob.
Five-year-olds have no problem with it, though.

--Vic
HK HK is offline

wrote:

How about the interface?

I bought a portable mp3 player last year, (not the iPod brand), and I
have loaded one album onto the thing and hardly used it since. The
biggest problem is the interface, IMO. Push this button thirty one
times, bush that other buttom twice, stop to chant, spin twice on left
heel, push first button 11 times more and then second button another
six. Although somewhat exaggerated, I concluded that it takes just
about that much nonsense that to change selections. :-(

I'm with you. I'm getting tired of stuff that takes 10-10 vision,
tiny fingers, and complex sequences to do things that were formerly
done by twisting a big knob.

--Vic

You're hanging out with the wrong sort of woman.