Default Which fishing boat to buy in Michigans thumb

Looking for about 16ft w/Merc 40hp and console steering. Not a lot of
choice sold near me. I like the Lund 16ft deep v w/Merc 40hp, around
$9500. Was considering Tracker 16.5ft but since then have decided to go
w/deepv. Is this a good price for the Lund? What other brands are of
good quality and in that price range? I'm not a heavy duty fisherman
but I do want to try some bigger lakes. This boat will last the rest of
my life. How long will the motor last? Are these motors specifically
designed for short hops across the lake or are they equally dependable
for long cruising? Any other info will be appreciated. Thanks...

P. Fritz

wrote in message
ups.com...
Looking for about 16ft w/Merc 40hp and console steering. Not a lot of
choice sold near me. I like the Lund 16ft deep v w/Merc 40hp, around
$9500. Was considering Tracker 16.5ft but since then have decided to go
w/deepv. Is this a good price for the Lund? What other brands are of
good quality and in that price range? I'm not a heavy duty fisherman
but I do want to try some bigger lakes. This boat will last the rest of
my life. How long will the motor last? Are these motors specifically
designed for short hops across the lake or are they equally dependable
for long cruising? Any other info will be appreciated. Thanks...

Have you looked in the Metro Detroit area?......it is a buyer's market right
now.

Doug Kanter

wrote in message
ups.com...
Looking for about 16ft w/Merc 40hp and console steering. Not a lot of
choice sold near me. I like the Lund 16ft deep v w/Merc 40hp, around
$9500. Was considering Tracker 16.5ft but since then have decided to go
w/deepv. Is this a good price for the Lund? What other brands are of
good quality and in that price range? I'm not a heavy duty fisherman
but I do want to try some bigger lakes. This boat will last the rest of
my life. How long will the motor last? Are these motors specifically
designed for short hops across the lake or are they equally dependable
for long cruising? Any other info will be appreciated. Thanks...

Lund makes terrific boats. Very rugged and they handle nasty water very
comfortably. As far as the motor, I bought a 1996 Johnson (used) in 1999.
It's running fine today. Follow the recommended maintenance procedures and
your Merc should fulfill your expectations.

Looked at a 15ft, 40hp smokercraft today. About $8500. Didn't like it.
Very plain looking and not much storage. The Lund which was a grand
more was much more appealling.

N.L. Eckert

Looking for about 16ft w/Merc 40hp and console steering. Not a lot of
choice sold near me. I like the Lund 16ft deep v w/Merc 40hp, around
$9500. Was considering Tracker 16.5ft but since then have decided to go
w/deepv. Is this a good price for the Lund? What other brands are of
good quality and in that price range? I'm not a heavy duty fisherman but
I do want to try some bigger lakes. This boat will last the rest of my
life. How long will the motor last? Are these motors specifically
designed for short hops across the lake or are they equally dependable
for long cruising? Any other info will be appreciated. Thanks...

You just described a boat that my nephew bought last year. He fishes
the area you're talking about. Pt. Sanilac & Harbor Beach as well as
his home lake, Lk. St. Clair. He got a 16 ft. Monark and I think
its with a Merc. OB, tho I'm not sure of the HP. He gives the boat
high marks. I've not been out on it, so I can't comment on how it
rides, etc. I think he paid a bit more than you quoted for the Lund,
but he ordered some of extras with it, depth finder, radio, etc.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

Happy boating, Norm