posted to rec.boats.electronics
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

Default Boat Stereo / Amp

In article , "Matt" wrote:
The AMP requires a 90A fuse.

I plan on wiring the 12V+ From the AMP (4 gauge) to the COMMON on the
switch. I have a 1' 4 gauge power cable with a 90A fues built in.

Switches are not normally used, but there is a small drain on the battery,
sometimes enough to be bad if the battery sits for weeks.

You also mention switch, then also talk about being switched from control.
if you need more clarity you could read the car audio FAQ, or even ask questions
to rec.audio.car

greg

From what I have been reading that is the way to do it, rather than 12V+
from AMP straight to battery Positive.

Sound good?

"GregS" wrote in message
In article , Larry
wrote:
"Matt" wrote in
:

I'm adding an AMP to my stereo system, should the POWER/12V wire go to
the SWITCH or should it go directly to the Battery positive?

How big are its fuses? Twin 30A fuses = 60A tops....pretty much answering
your own question...OUCH! BIG WIRE straight to the battery.

The amps are all switched on by a very low current control wire you put +
12V to when you want to turn the amps on. Shut down the control voltage,
and the amps shut themselves off.

No, you can't charge the battery at all drawing 50A from some huge stereo
off an outboard motor's 15A charging circuit.....

Thats only for peak power. Normal power is much less.
A fuse MUST be installed close to the battery regardless.

greg